Heat Pump - inside coil freezing up

Old 07-16-07, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump - inside coil freezing up

Our Lennox HP25 Heat Pump is freezing up the coil in the air handler when it gets over 90 degrees out.

We had someone look at it and he said the expansion valve was bad. Because it is 13 years old he thought we should get a new heat pump because there is probably contaminates in the line so they wouldn't warranty their work. He also tried to tell me that it would be 725.00 dollars to replace the expansion valve. One of my questions is does this sound right and second why can't you just flush the system, put on a new filter, fresh R22, and be good to go

We have raised the temp in the house to 75 from 72 and will raise it more if it gets hot again but right now all is well since it is in the mid 80s outside. Any advise or input would be great.

Thanks, Vball

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-07, 02:49 PM
vball

suggest a 2nd opinion from another company on both diagnosis and price to repair.

IMO

Old 07-16-07, 03:32 PM
Wink

ID also say call a new tech here. First was the freon ok???? How did it get contaminates in it , if no one worked on it??? In 13 years????Yes the freon can be recovered and but back in.
I will say that 13 years is near the end on a pump or AC. Lots of them run a longer time. But most have a life of about 15 years.

Old 07-16-07, 06:12 PM
How do you check freon?

Tech came out twice. First time couldn't find anything wrong but a burn contactor which he charged 176.00 for the service call and part. Anyway the only thing he checked was the pressures (does that mean freon check?) which were fine the first visit and low the next. That was when the coil was freezing up. Capacitors were checked & also good. It was last serviced in 98' and had freon recharged and capacitor replaced. Oh he claimed the contaminants come from the compresser over time so you can't get them out.

Thanks Vball

Old 07-16-07, 10:58 PM
Wink

Oh he claimed the contaminants come from the compresser over time so you can't get them out.

Thats why I say get a new tech to look at it for sure. He could have contaminate it with noncondensables. If he didnt clean or blow his hoses good on his gauges. Yes you can recover the freon ,clean the system put a new drier in . If thats what it needs . Find out just what is wrong first.

Old 07-17-07, 01:21 AM
Thanks for your help!!!

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll let you know what they find. If indeed it is going to cost around 1000.00 or more to fix we are going to probably replace it.

I have a buddy who got an American Standard heat pump and air handler installed for under 3000. I hear that is a good brand like a cheaper version of Trane? It was in a bigger house than ours so will probably go that route. He loves his and they did a great job installing it last year.

It has just been bad timing as far as money goes, you guys know how that is, Murphy's Law and all (HaHa)

Anyway thanks for listening to me rant and helping me out.

Peace, Vball

Old 07-17-07, 05:36 AM
American Standard makes a great product.

Old 07-22-07, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Vball View Post
I have a buddy who got an American Standard heat pump and air handler installed for under 3000. I hear that is a good brand like a cheaper version of Trane? It was in a bigger house than ours so will probably go that route. He loves his and they did a great job installing it last year.
Sounds like a good price - just curious - where do you live?

Old 07-22-07, 10:11 PM
Where I live?

I live in Oregon. The Eugene area to be more accurate. That price was with existing duct work and furnace. It was heat pump, Air handler, Digital thermostat installed & not sure about new lines or what model. I know it was not the variable speed air handler though. I'm going to go by his place and check it out soon. I'll know more then such as model still it sounds like a good price to me.