Old Heat Pump Using Too Much Electricity

Old 07-18-07, 09:11 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Heat Pump Using Too Much Electricity

I just recently bought a small condo, about 900 square feet which still has the originial heat pump (early 90's). I know the older ones are not effecient, but this seems to be exessive...

Currently we run our Air Conditioner about 6-7 hours a day, so its on for about 4 of the 7 hours. I just did a meter reading and we have used about 1200 kwh for the month with 2 days remaing on the bill month cycle averaging us about 50 kwh a day. This seems incredibly high considering the amount of time our air is on. I went out and looked at our meter, and when the air conditioner turns on, the meter takes off. It spins at least 3-4 times faster than our neighbors. Is it possible something is wrong and it is using too much energy? The unit works find right now.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-07, 04:51 PM
This have electric strip heat on the air handler to use as a back up heat?

Some times, the t-stat gets replaced, and wired up wrong, or set up wrong.

Old 07-19-07, 07:25 AM
L
I did recently replace the Thermostat. It's possible I hooked it up wrong and it's using too much energy?

Old 07-19-07, 08:18 AM
L
The old t-stat had an emergency heat setting

Old 07-19-07, 12:57 PM
Wink

Air filter clean ??? coil clean??? Next the best thing is to Amp out the unit and see that no back up heat comes on. That the amp draw on the fan motors and compressor are in line.
The tstats will turn on the EME when the heatpump cant keep up with the call for heat. The EME on the tstat turns the tstat over to just backup heat with no heatpump on

Old 07-20-07, 08:02 AM
L
The coils are visiable dirty. Nothing outrages though. My problem is since it's a condo unit, there is no way to get a garden hose out there to spray it off. Any ideas?

Old 07-21-07, 01:47 PM
M
Have you tried to find any non-acid coil cleaner @ an A/C supply house? I would call and ask the supply house if they have any self rinse coil cleaner. The only way it works is in A/C mode. It uses the condensation from the A/C to rinse the cleaner & the dirt off of the coil and out through the drain.