Problem with York 5 ton heat pump

Old 07-19-07, 05:58 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Problem with York 5 ton heat pump

The problem I have I believe is in the outdoor unit. Sometimes the unit will not come on when the call for cooling is sent. At first I thought it was a wiring problem but after checking I have power at the contactor and all the proper terminals coming from the thermostat. Unit will always come on when the contactor is manually pushed in. The unit does not trip any circuit breakers and never looses power. I'm starting to think that maybe the defrost board in the outside unit overheating or something. I don't know of any way to check the board though. The outside unit will come on, most of the time, if the whole unit is switched off at the thermostat and allowed to sit all day without running it will come on in the evening. Any help with diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-07, 10:46 AM
Wink

Id say try and check the 24V to the contactor. When it dont come on. This should tell you if its the defrost board or the contactor. If the contactor can be the coil or the points get a new one.

Old 07-20-07, 05:40 PM
M
Contact control voltage is passed through the defrost board so sometimes there is 24V @ the contactor and sometimes not. The contactor coil shows continuity every time I have checked it and the points are not burned. When everything works the unit performs great, but obviously when things don't work, Nothing happens outside. Still no luck with any of my diagnoses.