Outdoor unit fan quits

Old 07-23-07, 08:35 AM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outdoor unit fan quits

I don't know what's up with this. Here is what is happening.

About 2 weeks ago the unit would quit blowing cold air. Upon investigation, the red (pressure switch?) on the outside unit was triggered. I pushed it and the unit came back on and blew cold.

Then, I would find it not blosing cold again - went outside and it seemed that the compressor was on but the fan was not.

I could let everything cool off, turn it on again and it was fine for many days.

An aspiring a/c repair man told me to replace the fan and capacitor. I did it.

Now, it still does the same thing. Sometimes the fan quits. Sometimes the red switch needs to be pushed. Sometimes it runs fine.

Any ideas?

Mark

Old 07-23-07, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I take it that is the high head switch that you reset. So Im back to the condenser fan. Right ---RPM?? HP?? AND turns the right way CW or CCW?
Is the condenser coil clean????

Old 07-23-07, 12:12 PM
O
Thanks for the help here. Yes it is the high head switch. And yes it is the right fan, blowing the right way. Also, the coil is very clean.

So....

Old 07-23-07, 12:31 PM
Wink

Next is call a tech . To check the freon in the unit .Find out what makes it hit high head. You can have a lot of IFs IFs here. Drier ?? TXV ?? freon??

Old 07-23-07, 03:56 PM
O
Well thank you. I was afraid of that. I thought it was probably a freon/compressor issue in the beginning. Now I have a new fan!! and it still does not work.

thanks

Old 07-31-07, 01:00 PM
C
High pressure switch

It could also be that you have a dirty coil or filter inside. Low refrigerant charge would not cause high head, it would cause low suction and the indoor coil would ice up. An overcharge would cause high head. Also check the indoor blower motor.

Old 08-27-07, 06:55 PM
D
I'm having the exact same symptoms, already replaced the motor and capacitor. Do you have a fix yet?

Old 08-28-07, 10:58 PM
Wink

dwc123 If that is a H/P you have, can be the defrost board some turn the fan off in defrost. Did you check the old fan if it was ok or not?? Outdoor coil clean????

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: