low voltage control wiring between air-handler and condensor

Old 08-07-07, 01:17 PM
low voltage control wiring between air-handler and condensor

Help Please!!!
I have a 2.5 ton Rheem Corsair heat-pump(13PJA30A01) with a low-voltage wiring pigtail with brown, red, blue, yellow, and purple wires.
brown = heat pump monitor
red = ???
blue = to therm sub-base , this component energized in heating mode
yellow = to therm sub-base
purple = this wire is used to turn on electric resistance heat during defrost. omit for economical operation.

I have a Classic Rheem air-handler(RHSAHM3017JA) with a low voltage wiring pigtail with red, brown, white w/ blue-stripe, white w/ black-stripe and green w/ black-stripe wires. I have installed 10 kW heat-stripe RXBH-17A10J to the handler already. wiring schematic just says control wiring for thermostat.

I have a Honeywell PRO TH4210D thermostat. sub-base has E, aux, Y, G, O, L R, B and C

E = emergency heat relay
aux = auxiliary heat relay
Y = compressor contactor
G = fan relay
O = heat-pump change-over valve energized in cooling
L = heat-pump reset
R = power wire from secondary side of system transformer
B = heat pump changeover valve energized in heating
C = common wire from secondary system transformer

I have all units installed, all ducts run, power-supply rough-in done, Liquid and Suction lines brazed and I have been staring at these wiring diagrams for three weeks and I cant figure any of this out I need help and I cant pay for any .

Help Please?!?!?!What do I do next? and how do I do it?

P.S. I have a 2 ton unit and air-handler to install for the downstairs of the house sitting in what is going to be my parents new Kitchen and I gotta do this again before I can move on to the next job. This Framing Carpenter turned into Plumber, Electrician, trim-man and now H,V/AC dude needs help so I can get onto the next job of my short career as a historical home renovator and remodeller. Thanks in advance to anyone who makes it this far into my post and thanks twice if you can help .

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-07, 07:36 PM
Wink

There should be a wire schematic for the unit there on the blower coil units door.

Old 08-08-07, 02:04 AM
Question blower units door?

do you mean the air-handler? I have that wire diagram, the diagram from the condenser service door and a flow chart for the therm. the wire diagrams and the schematics kinda make sense but wire colors do not match put in no diagram or schematic for the therm just a flow chart with some corresponding colors but unlike nomenclature. I feel like im trying to fit my 5-speed 914 transmission into a carmen-gia with mounts from a 57 chevy.

Thanks for input but thats where i got all the information from. I can wire a house build and do the plumbing rebuild a 64 falcon from nothing but I am embarrassed to say I cannot figure this out.

I have both diagrams on the table beside me cause i removed both plates so i could look at them side by side and compare them with the sub-base. I wonder if the corresponding colors for the wires directed to the sub base go to it from both pig tails but i am afraid to hook it up and just experiment with 1500$ worth of heat-pump. I have some theories it's just not gelling. most everything I know I know from watching other people do it and filling in the blacks with experience. this is just the first time I have done more with a/c than add 134a to my car. and replace my dads trucks condenser coil. Thats all mechanical and this is electrical but it seems like the airhandler and the pump were not exactly made for each other and the honey well install guide is not help whatsoever.

Old 08-08-07, 08:20 AM
Wink

I cant say what the colors you have there go to. You have to find out. On cross-reference sheet I have for Rheem/Rudd.
X --common
R --hot
B is the C/O FOR HEAT SWITCH might check this out????some are for cool
G is fan
L is for light or malfunction indicator
E is emergency heat
Y is compressor
W2 is back up heat

purple = this wire is used to turn on electric resistance heat during defrost. omit for economical operation.

You do have to have this or you will get cold air in the home on defrost

Old 08-09-07, 01:22 PM
Talking thanks this straightened me out with a little help from tech support

I called company and got some help with yours I will be able to do this.

Thank-you
Nick