Heat Pump Installation

Old 08-19-07, 10:30 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump Installation

I'm intend to install a split system heat pump myself. My question is can I substitute a gas furnace for backup instead of electric heating coils?

Old 08-20-07, 12:01 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Well first you have to be EPA to work on the system freon gas. Now yes you can use a gas furnace for back up. But you will have to set it up at a given temp so the heatpumps works just so far down . Then you go to gas. Not as say with w gas back up. There is a cut over control that you set that will say if the H/P runs or the gas furnace runs

Old 08-20-07, 12:12 PM
Z
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pelican99
I'm intend to install a split system heat pump myself. My question is can I substitute a gas furnace for backup instead of electric heating coils?
I wanted to do the same thing and found that there are even gas units that can go in the attic if needed and they are extremely efficient nowadays. They can run on natural gas or propane as well. Only thing additional you'll need over the electric furnace is some vent piping for the burner.

Good luck - let us know how it turns out.

Old 08-20-07, 08:11 PM
P
I intend to have a certified tech braze the lines and install the freon but I intend to install everything else. So do I just take the connections that normaly go to the air handler and connect them to the gas furnace?

Old 08-21-07, 05:36 AM
C
have the certified tech give you all the info then. Sorry to be hard on you, but this is my field and I see guys mess up all the time then call and want a pro to fix your mistakes. it will cost you more. Just a word of thought.

If you are going to do something like this go as basic as you can. Heat pump with electric heat. Make sure your wiring is up to code.

Last edited by mattison; 08-22-07 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Removed unhelpful comments.
Old 08-21-07, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Go to http://warmair.net and compare fuel cost for where you live. To find out if the H/P will pay

Old 08-22-07, 11:27 AM
P
As a matter of fact I'am helping a friend build an airplane......I mean this is a real two person airplane. I think I will go ahead with this project also. I will get the proper information elsewhere. Thank you.
I guess I’m not though……..I’m a member of EAA where yes we do build our own airplanes and fly them too. Also I worked in Boeing Research Labs for 34 years developing systems for Boeing airplanes. Probably airplanes that you have been a passenger on.
A person can not be an expert in everything and that is why I came to this forum to get information on the job that I’m undertaking here. No, I’m not an expert in this field but I will obtain enough information to do this job and do it well. In fact now that you have ticked me off I will also do the brazing and maybe even the R22. It can not be that difficult with the proper information. Everything will be per local code and legal.
That is the way I do things.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: