differing estimates

Old 08-21-07, 02:15 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
differing estimates

I got two estimates from HVAC guys for replacing y 21 year old, 1.5 ton heat pump for the upstairs. One of them said that a 1.5 ton unit would be fine, and I could not upgrade to a two ton without replacing all of my wiring. The second guy said that I should upgrade to a two ton and that there would be no problem with the wiring.

I will have them do a load test to answer the tonnage question, but I was curious about the wiring issue. I looked on Carrier's website and they said nothing about how much juice they take to be powered. Can anybody help me here? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-07, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all, I'd get a couple more estimates after that difference. I got 3 when I did mine. But those 2 conflict, so it's more important to check a few others. A bigger unit would use more power in theory, but you would assume a 20 year newer unit would be much more efficient, and thus use the same power. Also, 1.5 ton is fairly small, so I wouldn't think a 2 ton would require very large wiring, and thus the minimum would work. But that's based on a swag, not expert knowledge.

Also, email the manufactures, your current unit and the prospective new unit, and ask them the power consumption. The one guy may just want to sell and easy, quick job, instead of giving you what you need. On the other hand, he may be right, and the other guy is trying to sell more than you need.

When I had mine replaced, we went from a 2 to a 2.5 ton, cause the 2 ton was undersized and always had trouble keeping the house cool in the hot summers. But mine was a spec house. If yours was too, that may be the case.