Trane XL14i or XL16i - Right choice for application?

Old 08-23-07, 07:01 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Trane XL14i or XL16i - Right choice for application?

We are seeking to replace the heat pump and air handler in our central Maryland colonial style (2 story) home which has 2233 Sq. Ft.
Current unit is a 3.5 Ton GE air handler-23 years old-and a Trane XE1000 heat pump - 16 years old. The AH is now leaking water onto the basement floor and the service Tech recommended replacement.
The current system has done a very good, and ecnomical job, of both heating and cooling.

One contractor has recommended a 4 ton Trane XL16i but the another disagrees and feels that all things considered, including our ducting, that a 3.5 ton Trane XL14i would be a better choice for us.
This is the 4TWX4042 HP with the 4TEE3F40 vs air handler.The cost of the LX14i is approx. 25% less than the LX16i from one contractor.

I'm ready to commit to the XL14i. Thinking that since the current 8-10 SEER rated 3.5 ton system delivered good service, a new 15 SEER rated 3,5 ton system with a vs air handler should be a significant improvement at a reasonable investment level.

I just want to be sure that I'm not undersizing the equipment.

Any help you may be able to offer in making this decision would be appreciated.

Also we would like to improve the quality of the air as we both have some alergies. Any thoughts regarding the Trane Clean Effects and the Honeywell F-200?

Many Thanks.

Old 08-23-07, 10:06 AM
I have theTrane XL14i and am quite pleased with it. I also have the Honeywell F200 EAC, it is very much worth the cost, but be prepared to clean it often for it to work properly.

Old 08-23-07, 09:53 PM
Wink

As this is a heat pump also Go with the Trane XL15i You need a seer of 15 for the tax rebate and with the seer of 15.10 you get a 8.05 HSPF on the H/P side. Id also stay with the R22 in the unit with the V/S blower you can put a humidistat control on it. This will slow the blower down so there is more humidity pulled out of the Air. Yes go for the Trane Clean Effects

Old 08-27-07, 06:59 AM
T
geezer,

I think your decision on vs air handler or vs furnace should be driven by three factors.

1.your location/climate
2.your electric rate
3.do you use nat gas for uses other than heating such as hot water,cooking, drying clothes, etc

The average homeowner does not know that you lose a little eff with a heat pump paired with a var speed furnace as opposed to a var spd air handler.

You will get a little better eff and comfort with a 4 ton XL16i HP plus you get the extra heating BTUs on the heating side which will help in the winter and reduce the need for backup/aux heat whether gas furnace or heat strips. The downside is whether your ductwork is large enough to handle the extra CFMs or will it need modification.

I would want a HP that has at least 15 SEER and 9 HSPF efficiency and it would be nice if it had a nice Trane rebate and qualified for the Fed Energy EFF tax credit.

Do not use Trane stats-they are a POJ. Go for the Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ which will handle dehumidication by slowing blower speed.

The Clean Effects is fine but pricey and overkill for most households. A good media cabinet like the Perfect Fit is satisfactory for most families and requires no maintenance other than changing the filter.

IMO

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: