Heat pump keeps running

Old 08-25-07, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Heat pump keeps running

My system as started to act strange. I don't know how long it has been doing this; however, I just noticed it today.

The blower is not running and the thermostat is showing the set temperature. For some reason, the outside heat pump is still running. The line that is not insulated (I believe this is the return line) is cold and has frost on it.

I disconnected the thermostat and the pump kept running. At this point, it appears that the system switched over to heat. Within a couple of minutes, the return line thawed and got hot.

I cut power to the inside unit and the pump kept running. I then restored power to the inside unit and cut power to the pump. Obviously, this shut down the pump. When I reapplied power, the pump came back on. So, I cut power to both units and then reapplied to the pump and it came back on again. I removed power from both for about 15 minutes and then turned both back on. The pump stayed off this time.

Is there a relay in the pump assembly that could be causing this problem?

Indoor unit

Carrier
Product # - FB4ANF030000AFAA
Model # - FB4ANF030

Outdoor unit

Bryant
Product # - 663CJX030000ABAA
Model # - 663CJX030

Old 08-26-07, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it did it 2 more times after posting. Both times I popped the breaker for the outside unit and let it sit with no power for at least 10 minutes both times. It has been operating normal since.

Any ideas as to what could have been causing this?

Old 08-27-07, 08:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

You say the tstat is off the wall and it ran . Next Id check the contactor in the outdoor unit and then 24V wire to it also. Then the defrost board in the outdoor condenser unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: