Two stage vs Single Stage

Old 09-19-07, 02:23 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 16
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Two stage vs Single Stage

I am thinking about replacing my old heat pump. Was reading some posts and have some questions as follows:

What are the differences between a two stage and single stage heat pump?

Also, how do they run a heat loss and AC load on a home?

Finally what is a v/s blower?

At present, my heat pump and air handler is on one end of the house and the main duct work makes a run the length of the house to the other end of the house. However, the air flow is much less at the end of the house opposite the air handler and the house was much warmer at that end to the point we had to put in a window unit in the kitchen to cool things down.

[B]How can this be corrected with a finished basement where I have limited access to the duct work? I can only access the main duct work in the storage room in close proximity to the air handler or at the basement vents.

One guy mentioned putting a supplemental blower in the
main duct. Will that work. I am interested in any and all ideas

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old 09-19-07, 07:52 AM
airman.1994's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,491
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Single stage equipment has one stage using the compressor. That means if you have a three ton unit you get three tons of cooling or heating every time the unit comes on. Two stage will mean that their or two compressor's or two speed compressor's. Two stage will have longer run times for greater comfort and humidity control. Now both one and two stage heat pumps will have electric heat which will pump the stages up.

VS blower is recommended for humidity and temperature control. VS is just a fan that will speed up or slow down depending on what the T-stat is calling for.

Most of the time a booster fan will not fix a problem like you are having. Most of the time the duct will need to be modified to correct the problem with your hot rooms.

They will need to do the manual J and a Manual D to get the wright size. Manual J is heat loss for the home and Manual D is size of duct.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: