Geothermal Heat Help

Old 09-23-07, 06:47 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geothermal Heat Help

I put my own geothermal heat pump in two years ago. The geo works well in the summer but not enough heat in the winter. I should have put a bigger unit in but the place I bought it said it would be plenty. I canít go any bigger because of the loop size I have. I do have electric back up but I donít like the electric bills. My plan is the put a gas furnace beside the geo as a second stage. But Iím having trouble figuring out a thermostat that disables the first stage when the second stage kicks in. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated? I donít want to control the second stage by the outside temperature (dual fuel kit).

Old 09-23-07, 08:15 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put my own geothermal heat pump in two years ago. The geo works well in the summer but not enough heat in the winter. I should have put a bigger unit in but the place I bought it said it would be plenty. I canít go any bigger because of the loop size I have. I do have electric back up but I donít like the electric bills. My plan is the put a gas furnace beside the geo as a second stage. But Iím having trouble figuring out a thermostat that disables the first stage when the second stage kicks in. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated? I donít want to control the second stage by the outside temperature (dual fuel kit).

How did you determine your geo is to small? If it cools your home ok it could be close to the right size. Geo's and heatpumps always need auxillary heat of some sort.

Why not control 2nd stage with an outdoor sensor. It works very well. Use a duel fuel thermostat with an outdoor sensor. You can set the thermostat to lockout the geo at a certain outdoor temp and bring on the gas furnace. You will have mild heat on mild days and warmer heat on colder days. As far as what t-stat to use, there are several dual fuel t-stats I'm partial to Honeywell.

Old 09-23-07, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Id go with just one cut over tstat at outside temp. You can play with it and fine out at what temp outside you need . Or want to go from the H/P to the gas.
Might go to http://warmair.net and compare fuel cost for where you are also.

Old 09-29-07, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
To me it doesn't make sense to lock out the first stage when the second starts.
It is quite likely that you will have a need for additional heat from the second stage when the loop temperature still is high enough to operate the heat pump.

It would make more sense to cycle off the heat pump when the ground does not offer enough heat.

How deep is your loop buried?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: