Lennox Pureair
Honeywell TH8000 Vision Pro thermostat with outdoor sensor
Electrical wiring
Outdoor pad
Refrigerant lines
Repair duct insulation
Removal and disposal of the existing furnace
Cost:$10,944.00 plus tax
Note: This system qualifies for a $1,0000 rebate from Lennox plus $250.00 from PSE, or 18 months deferred interest financing OAC, or 10 year parts and labor warranty

_______

I've been trying to shop around but I don't get home till 6 PM, and all the dang HVAC places around close at 5

I've got a 1400 sq ft home in Western Washington (so very nice mild climate). My current system is 45 years old, and is actually an oil furnace with a 30-something year old gas conversion unit. It is extremely noisy in side the house, and, the electric air cleaner makes a terrible noise and likely needs to be replaced. Last time I had the unit serviced, they replaced the limiter switch, but it didn't seem to work (and I was out $200, but I was sick and tired of having the guy come back out after they ordered the wrong part 6 times).

I'm not tied to any brand as I am a new homeowner who wants something that will dependable for years to come. I intend to stay in this house as long as I can (upwards of 15 years...hopefully till I die(I'm 21)) and will probably want to add an addition of approx 400 sq ft 5-10 years from now

At any rate... thanks in advance!

Old 10-07-07, 05:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Id leave out the pureair and get a good media filter! Get two more prices from other contractors.

Old 10-09-07, 06:42 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gallwapa

A great system. However....

1. It is overkill for your area/climate. You will never be able to justify the 95% AFUE gas furnace. I would go for the var speed air handler with strip backup or if you just want the gas backup and/or have plans to use nat gas for reasons other than heating, then drop down to the two stg var speed 80% AFUE model. I believe it is the G60v.

2. If you are reasonably certain of an addition, now is the time to plan for any future expansion.Get your ductwork modified so you can handle a two stg 3 ton heat pump model rather than a two ton.

3.Insist upon a heat/cool load calc both for your existing home's size plus your home with future addition.

4.I would thoroughly research the Pure Air cabinet vs the Lennox Healthy Climate 16 Media Filter cabinet as far as features,effectiveness, cost, and cleaning/maintenance.
Most people want to keep their life as simple as possible in this area of HVAC.

5.get several more quotes for comparison.

My Opinion.

Old 10-13-07, 08:37 PM
G
Thanks for the replies. I was trying to get other quotes as I mentioned but I swear all the local HVAC shops don't want my business. Some of them don't even come out on Saturdays.

I'm still shopping. Thanks for the tips. I'll take this into consideration when requesting further bids. I appreciate your time!

If you have any further recommendations feel free to leave a note

Old 10-14-07, 05:36 AM
J
Your current system is 45 years old. Do not expect the replacement to last anything near that. Realistic life for a system is 10 to 20 years.

The price sounds a little high, continue to shop around but don't let price alone determine your choice.

I agree with the 80% furnace. More efficient is for colder climates or areas with high natural gas prices. I also question having a heat pump with a gas furnace in a mild climate. Perhaps a gas furnace with straight a/c may be a better choice. If your area has very low electric rates with high gas prices, the heat pump would be a better choice and forget the gas furnace.

Old 10-14-07, 09:41 PM
G
I guess my question is then what is "expensive" for an area? (I'm new at this - I'm only 21!)

$1.2521 / Therm Gas
$0.0763 / kWh elec

for last month

Yet, last winter, my usage was as follows:

gas ( in therms)
04/16/07 73.7
03/16/07 104.5
02/14/07 109.3
01/16/07 101.4
12/14/06 113

vs
electric (in kWh)
04/16/07 480
03/16/07 610
02/14/07 710
01/16/07 750
12/14/06 830

We have a gas water heater and a nice frontloader with a very high MEF.

FWIW the guy suggesting the heat pump said that the reason for the furnace is that the effective temperature for the system suggested was approx 37 degrees. It is not uncommon during winter months for the temperature to drop below that, sometimes even to 25.

Old 10-15-07, 07:10 AM
T
gallwapa

First you have very favorable electric rates which really makes a high eff HP system a nobrainer.

A 95% AFUE var speed furnace would be overkill with a heat pump. However, since you are already using nat gas for reasons other than heating, an 80% AFUE var speed furnace makes sense as backup on those cold days. For your area/climate, I doubt you would consume over 100 therms for heating in backup.

Your biggest decision and challenge is how to plan in advance for your addition. Now is the time and this has to include ductwork modifications.

IMO
Good LucK!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: