installing my own heat pump.

Old 10-10-07, 10:19 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing my own heat pump.

I live in Maryland ... I am getting ice buildup in my inside unit when the AC is own. I was going to have it fixed (what ever the casue might be, perhaps low freon), but as old as the system is, i might as well have it replaced. I would like to do the job myself. My questions are:

Has anyone done this? How difficult was it and how long it took you?

What brand and where did you buy the units and what kind of experience did you have with the seller.

Where you able to find someone to come and charge the system after it was installed? How much did that cost.

Are you happy with the job you did (will u do it again if u had to) and how it is working out for you.

Last, do i have any other options ther than heatpump?

Thanks.

Old 10-10-07, 04:33 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I was involved with the design, installation and operation of commercial and industrial sized heating systems my entire adult life. When it came time to replace the little forced air gas furnace in my own home I had it done by a furnace contractor.

I could have bought a furnace at the wholesale price through one of my contacts. I could have done the necessary sheet-metal work and I could have done the minimal piping and electrical but I chose to have it done.

Why? The savings would have been minimal, it would have taken me at least two or three days to accomplish rather than the five hours by the contractor and had I done it myself I most likely would have had NO WARRANTY from the furnace manufacturer.

Sometimes it does not pay to Do-It-Yourself.

Old 10-10-07, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Why? The savings would have been minimal, it would have taken me at least two or three days to accomplish rather than the five hours by the contractor and had I done it myself I most likely would have had NO WARRANTY from the furnace manufacturer.

Sometimes it does not pay to Do-It-Yourself.

I am with Furd on this.. I used to be in the field as well, and could of done it myself but like furd said. I wanted peace of mind for the next 10 years.. So I got the 10 year warranty from Trane.

Old 10-11-07, 08:13 AM
S
trust me guys, i am with u on this . .the last thing i want to do is pick up on such huge project and possibly leave the family with no heat for several days .. my only motivation is money! 2 years ago when they came to check the charge on the system, i asked them howmuch to replace the system and theytold me about $6500 .. if i buy the system it will cost $1800 to $2200 .. possibly $4000 in saving .. that's a lot of money for someone like me .. unless i put it on credit card, which i hate to do so!

am i miscalculating the saving here? do u really think it is not worth the $4000 saving?

anyway, i have a couple people come over to take a look and give an estimate .. maybe it won't be as much as the guy told me a couple years ago.

Old 10-11-07, 08:35 AM
J
I would have to agree with the other posts. A complete system install is not for a beginner. It would be impossible to learn everything yourself without expert guidance. There are a lot of little details that can come back and bite you.

Even with the tools and knowledge, it's still a lot of hard work. Most hvac contractors don't do the install work by themselves. They usually hire experienced installers (usually 2 or 3 additional people) to do most of the grunt work.

Old 10-11-07, 10:32 AM
D
Isn't it a huge fine to play with Freon unless your EPA certified?

I am also in MD down in the southern part. Where are you? Ive been pricing out HP's for a few weeks and maybe able to give you a few other installers that I would trust.

Only other option is a wood stove. You should be able to do that yourself, but depending on your layout of the house it may not heat everywhere.

Old 10-11-07, 11:02 AM
J
Freon license is required to buy equipment that contains freon. Most supply houses require a state hvac license too.
The states are putting pressure on sellers of equipment to sell to only licensed contractors. This is to reduce the amount of unlicensed activity which is too prevalent in many areas. In many places, supply houses won't even sell basic parts (capacitors, relays and the like) to those who do not have a state license.

Old 10-11-07, 01:24 PM
Wink

Like said: Just to big a job for a DIY. Dont even want to say what the cost was to them .On some of the DIY jobs that we have been called in on to rework the whole thing so it works right

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: