Heat Pump stays in EM

Old 10-12-07, 05:07 AM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump stays in EM

Hi,

My Heat Pump is not going on and is always using the EM.

Last winter it was intermittent. Now, it's always on EM.

I had a technician come in and he found that the probe was stuck inside some of the wiring and not measuring the outside temperature. He said if that doesn't work it's probably the thermostat inside the heat pump itself.

Before I call him back, I'd like to get your opinion. I also use to work as an electronics technician and wondering how if this is something I can change myself if that is the diagnosis.

Thank you.

Frank

Old 10-12-07, 02:09 PM
Wink

[QUOTE he found that the probe was stuck inside some of the wiring and not measuring the outside temperature. He said if that doesn't work it's probably the thermostat inside the heat pump itself.
][/QUOTE]
Lost here. The heatpump should run anytime there is a call for heat at the tstat. If it cant keep up then the elements should come on with the heat pump. the only time the Em should come on is if you turn it on at the tstat. So is the H/P running right and putting out heat if not then the Em will come on if the pump cant warm the home.

Old 10-14-07, 04:14 PM
Q
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
Lost here. The heatpump should run anytime there is a call for heat at the tstat. If it cant keep up then the elements should come on with the heat pump. the only time the Em should come on is if you turn it on at the tstat. So is the H/P running right and putting out heat if not then the Em will come on if the pump cant warm the home.
I understand that. I keep my tstat on Auto so it should switch over to EM when it's too cold outside or in a defrost situation.

What was happening is that even though it isn't cold enough to need EM, it still went to it.

When I said TSTAT I meant the one in the Heat Pump which determines when it should turn off. The technicien showed it to me. He also showed me a probe which measures outside temperture.

Since, I last wrote this, it started working properly. I don't know if the rain had anything to do with it when I first turned it on, but the temp outside was above freezing.

Last night the EM came on only once, the rest of the time it's working fine, so it's probably intermittent.

I'm looking for clues as to why this could be happening.

Thanks,

Quade

Old 10-15-07, 02:48 PM
Wink

Id say look how it is wired. "Most Most "of the time Only the heatpump should come on........ Now if the heat pump cant hold the temp and it goes down 2o then the electric should come on to help. Not as a EM --AUX. Is the tstat set right for a heat pump??? When you go to EM on the tstat then the heatpump dont come on. Only the electric heat elements.

Old 10-15-07, 03:26 PM
Q
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
Id say look how it is wired. "Most Most "of the time Only the heatpump should come on........ Now if the heat pump cant hold the temp and it goes down 2o then the electric should come on to help. Not as a EM --AUX. Is the tstat set right for a heat pump??? When you go to EM on the tstat then the heatpump dont come on. Only the electric heat elements.
I just checked the heat pump tstat and it was set to 0F which sounds reasonable. It never got that cold yet. I'm in Canada so it will

I set it to about -2 F just to see if it make a difference.

I'll let you know.

-Frank

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: