Convrsion from electric to forced air / Hot water Heat

Old 10-25-07, 07:58 PM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convrsion from electric to forced air / Hot water Heat

Our house, about 25 years old, uses electric baseboard heating. The cost is crazy and I would like to convert to
either baseboard hot water or forced air heat. The house is about 2200 sqft and is 2 storied. 4 bedrooms and two baths up stairs and typical kitchen, dining, living and family room down stairs. How much of the house (walls) need to be torn out to run pipes should I decide to go with hot water heat?
How are the new pipes run in existing walls? Can I do this?
OR forced air? Seems like the trickiest part is running the duct work between the basement ducts (for floor vents) and the attic ducts (vents from 2nd floor ceiling). Can you use flexible ducts for the entire job? Cost range to have someone
come in?

Alot of questions but would appreciate any info or references.
Thanks.

Old 10-25-07, 09:27 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, depending on which way you want to go, there are several options. If your able, get away from resistance heating. It is VERY expensive as you already know.

You ask about water or what is refered to as hydronic heating. This is an option, one of several. What kind of hydronics do you want? Will you have a dedicated boiler? Will you upsize your water heater and use that for heating? If you use a boiler, you'll need water conditioning. Your sulfites need to remain low, of you could start poping holes in your system. You'll need to have continuous water treatment and maintenance. If you use your regular domestic water heater, you'll need to oversize to accomidate showers, dishwashers, and heating. There is no treatment since it will be used as an end product.

Before I go any farther, I need to know if you have natural gas?

Also, do you have any space to run duct work?

Old 10-26-07, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

First Id say go to http://warmair.net compare the fuel cost for where you live . See if you are going the right way here. That would be like if you went to a heat pump there . You should cut your electric bill about a 1/3 and have AC also.
What ever you do get 3 bid for the same job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: