Heat pump being repaired because of cooling problems.

Old 11-01-07, 06:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump being repaired because of cooling problems.

How do you tell if the heatpump is going to work in cooling mode when its real hot outside during the summer? The company said theyre only gonna pay for 90 days labor and nomore and thats it. Today high is mid 60s but the cooling problem was when temp gets above 90 thanks. Its gonna be fixed today. It uses puron.

Will cooling pressure be the same as heating? Im thinking after he fixes it, to get it real hot in the house about 80 and see what it does?

So what do you check to ensure its operating normally in heat then cooling even though it isnt cool?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-07, 07:48 AM
Your pressures will depend on the temeratures that the unit has to work with. A heat pumps works just like a regular AC system. In the summer, your remove warm air from the inside with refrigerent, then compress the refrigerent on the outside and a fan removes the heat. Place your had over the outside unit with it in cooling mode and you'll feel the heat it is removing. In the winter, the system switches. You are now removing heat from the outside and compressing the refrigerent, which creates heat, and your placing that heat inside. Place your hand over the outside coil in the heating mode, and it will be refrigerated air outside.

No matter what the temperature is outside or inside, a good technician will charge by superheat and sub-cooling. He will be able to look at a superheating/sub-cooling chart and get a very close charge. Make sure you watch him charge the unit. He should place a temerature sensor on the suction and discharge lines and compair that to his gauges. If he just uses his gauges to charge, he is charging by pressure and you will never get a good charge that way. It is very easy to overcharge or undercharge a system if you go by pressures alone.

Your best bet would be to make sure the system operates fine in the winter, then when spring/summer gets here, have a technician come out and check your system. That way you know your good to go for the summer.

Old 11-01-07, 08:23 PM
Wink

Have to ask what was the cooling problems?????
What did they put in??? 90 days labor dont sound right .
Did you get 3 bids for this??? You say R410a Make sure they use all new freon in it and new drier

Old 11-05-07, 08:16 AM
I had this posted under air conditioned, my mistake. The heat pump is working good and he charged it at 8 lbs from the factory plate. Ill post again later. Thanks

Old 11-06-07, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by sloooo View Post
Your pressures will depend on the temeratures that the unit has to work with. A heat pumps works just like a regular AC system. In the summer, your remove warm air from the inside with refrigerent, then compress the refrigerent on the outside and a fan removes the heat. Place your had over the outside unit with it in cooling mode and you'll feel the heat it is removing. In the winter, the system switches. You are now removing heat from the outside and compressing the refrigerent, which creates heat, and your placing that heat inside. Place your hand over the outside coil in the heating mode, and it will be refrigerated air outside. .
Ok. I seen the pressures, they were the same as cooling before it was fixed. And i was told else where on here that my cooling pressure was to low.

The temp inside was 73 and i had put the thermostat on 85 to make sure it was working. The outside temp was 40. Now it is putting out real cold air from the condensor like you mentioned. My labor warranty ran out in june and thats when the first call was made. The heat seem to be working real good.

Im just wondering if its gonna cool next summer? Do i demand the company give me another year of labor?

It now has a new compressor,drier,TXV, and 410A.

Old 11-06-07, 12:28 PM
Did they retrofit your system from R-22 to R-410? What was the reason for changing out the TXV?

Old 11-08-07, 08:59 AM
No. The suction was to low in cooling. The pump wasnt cooling the house above 90 outside and it would be 80 in the house. The tech took the bulb or whatever attached to the TXV and put in a glass of hot water and the pressure didnt move and the compressor was shutting of for hours at a time. When it was removed you could hear it rattling inside.

Old 11-18-07, 11:54 PM
Is this Normal??? Defrost....

When my unit switches into defrost, is that when it starts pumping the freon back the other way acting like its in cooling mode?

The thing is when it changes to defrost, the heatpump is real loud!! Its loud for atleast about 5 seconds or so. After it defrost then it swithces back its probably half as loud when switching back. The heating and defrosting is working very good. My Aux heat didnt even come on during a real good freeze.