Solenoid activated

Old 11-02-07, 07:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solenoid activated

Sorry guys (and gals) for my ignorance, but I am hoping you will be able to help.

I replaced the contactor and fan capacitor in my 12 year old Rheem packaged heat pump. The contactor was sticking. My issue is I think I mis-placed a wire on the contactor terminals.

Here's my question: When I apply power (before I enable the thermastat to turn on the heat), I hear the solenoid, that is mounted on top of the compressor, engage. Logically, I am concerned that I wired something incorrectly because why would the solenoid be engaged when the unit is just sitting idle without the T-stat telling it to put out heat? This is my logic as to why I am questioning my miswire.
By the way, the unit does produce heat adequately, I am just concerned about the solenoid being engaged.

I would appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Mr. Concerned...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-07, 11:04 PM
Hmmm, if it's working, I would just keep an eye on it. If your talking about the 4 way valve solenoid, it's operated with 24 volts where your fan is operated on 240 volts. It might have been like this before but you never noticed it until you you worked on the unit. If it's heating fine, turn your AC on and see if you get warm air outside and cool air inside. If you do, your system is running the way it should.

Old 11-03-07, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the help SLOOOO!

I appreciate the feedback!

PA101