Heat Strip Wiring Question

Old 11-09-07, 10:08 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello,I am a first time poster having trouble figuring out the wiring diagram with the heat strip accessory that installs in a Carrier heatpump.First of all the unit is a 2.5 ton Carrier Legacy 50SZ Heat pump system.The Accessory strip unit is catalog #WGS 1002H.It is a 10 KW strip.The wires i'm having trouble with are the Brown,Violet and the White wires from the contactor on the strip.These are are the low voltage wires and the instructions say they must be connected in the 24v barrier section inside the unit panel.The heater wiring schematic shows the "brown" wire connecting to "24 "com.The "white" wire connecting to "W1". And the"violet"wire to "W2".I am assuming these connections are among the six wires found in the 24 volt splice box or the 24v barrier section.The question i'm asking is if this is correct ,which color wires in the splice box should the brown,violet and the white wires connect to?.The 24 com,w1 and w2 wires are confusing me as they are not clearly shown to me on the unit schematic.I should also add that this a single phase 208/240 unit.I would be grateful if anyone could help me with this.

Old 11-09-07, 11:37 AM
do you have a PDF file on this, or papers in front of you?

I am not able to come up with this model #, I am guessing it's an older unit?

Old 11-09-07, 02:51 PM
A

Jay,The unit was purchased new and installed a couple of months ago.The HVAC contractor who installed it has passed away since installing the unit.He was semi retired and worked alone.I have since purchased the the heat strip unit and decided to install it myself.I am usually pretty good on schematics but i will admit ,most of my experience is with automotive systems.I do have both schematics,for the heat pump and for the the strip unit.The complete model # for the pump is"50sz-030---301---".The model# for the heater is "CPHEATER 050A00W".As i said before in my first post,the wires from the contactor in the heater are colored brown,violet and white.The heater schematic shows,BRN---24 COM, WHT---W1, VIO---W2 .I am unable to find these wires in the unit control schematic.This is in the 24 volt section.I'm sure it is there but not being familar with Hvac schematics i'm not seeing it.Does the additional info help any Jay?

Old 11-09-07, 03:13 PM
Found the file at last.

Just curious on what type of t-stat do you have there? The way I see it on the manual is that both heater will come on at the same time.. HOnestly, you don't need that much at once.

Old 11-09-07, 03:23 PM
A
Heat Pump Wiring Question

The thermostat is a Carrier Non programmable HP.The Part # is TC-NHP. Comfort Series.

Old 11-09-07, 04:14 PM
The manual I found is messed up.

It talks about emergency heat, and works for heat pump.. But on the wire hook up, it don't show the E, and W2 as it shows on the unit manual.

Does your t-stat have the W2 and E wire hook up on it?

Old 11-09-07, 05:22 PM
A

No it does not have E orW2 ON IT.It is marked as follows,
Y
G
C
W
*RH *= JUMPER INSTALLED BETWEEN THE TWO
*RC
O/B
NOT USED
The following is from the unit manual:
C ----------------------------BRN
O ----------------------------ORN
R ----------------------------RED
G ----------------------------GRN
Y ----------------------------YEL
E ----------------------------WHT
*W2
T-STAT&SUBBASE UNIT CONTROL POWER
SPLICE BOX
*= W2 IS JUMPED TO E ON CONTROL CONNECTION ILLUSTRATION IN UNIT MANUAL

My t-stat does not have the same connections as the one in the unit manual as you can see.Do i need another t-stat?
Is the E connection same as W1 also,do the white and violet wire from the heater connect together via the white wire from the splice box to E on the t-stat?

Old 11-09-07, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by alabama-ed View Post
No it does not have E orW2 ON IT.It

My t-stat does not have the same connections as the one in the unit manual as you can see.Do i need another t-stat?
My guts are telling me yes, you need another t-stat. I don't know Carrier's control, I am guessing that that model of t-stat Turns on W for both Aux and E. Do you have a Multi meter to check this out?

Is the E connection same as W1 also,do the white and violet wire from the heater connect together via the white wire from the splice box to E on the t-stat?
Did you mean W2? Yes, all the wires are connected together.

Old 11-09-07, 07:38 PM
A

Jay,I think i,ve got it figured out.The brown wire from the heater to "c" or common on the t-stat.And the violet wire and the white wire splice together and go to "w" on the t-stat.After wiring it in this configuration and following the startup and checkout procedure it appears to be working correctly.The t-stat i have is the latest one Carrier has produced so,the schematics for the strips and the heat pump do not match the t-stat teminal strip.Thanks for your help Jay,your response helped me get on the right track.

Old 11-09-07, 07:44 PM
Yes, the brown wire is common.

Does the compressor shut off, and electric heat comes on when you turn on Emg heat?

Glad to hear it's working out for you so far.

Old 11-09-07, 08:48 PM
A
Heat Pump Wiring Question

The answer to your question is yes Jay,It appears to be working as it should.I am reading the owners manual for the t-stat now.I'm having to familarize myself with the various modes and setting's on this control.When i hit "Aux heat"the strips came on.

Old 11-09-07, 09:10 PM
Ok, sounds like it' working then.

Not an ideal set up that I'd go for... But it works.

my ideal set up is to stage the strip as needed. Stage 1, and stage 2.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: