Short Cycle reset? HP reset?

Old 11-10-07, 01:56 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Short Cycle reset? HP reset?

Hi, I have a Amana ASZ-16 heat pump.

Can someone "point" me to the right location the short cycle reset on the Amana ASZ-16 heat pump? I realize there is no self help, so a nod or point would be nice. I have checked my documentation and the service manual with no joy. Thanks in advance.

I installed the White-Rodgers remote temperature sensor yesterday and while teminating the connections and shield and double checking my work, I removed the thermostat face several times within a few minutes and noticed the outdoor fan stopped working.

1. Reset the thermostat to factory settings to ensure it wasn't the thermostat. Self check works OK. 24v ok. All illumination is working.

2. Furnace indicates a good steady LED on control board, no blinking.

3. Circuit Breaker OK, service disconnect (connected ;-))
Exterior unit has power.

4. I haven't had time to get the meter out for more complete checks, however I suspect with me starting/stopping the unit quickly (duh...obviously, not thinking) that it built up high head pressure and kicked off.

ASZ16 heat pump, AMV95 furnace, (3 ton) and a series 90 White-Rodgers thermostat made for Amana with I believe (without looking it up) the White-Rodgers 378 outdoor temperature sensor.

Thanks for any nods or points

Old 11-10-07, 03:09 AM
P
Adendum

Originally Posted by plainscraps View Post
short cycle reset on the Amana ASZ-16 heat pump?
Sorry folks. I also have short cycle protection enabled in the thermostat as well. This may be automatic on my particular heat pump. Does anyone know if there is a manual reset for this particular compressor? I will visually look tomorrow afternoon as time permits, I just haven't had the opportunity as of yet.

Thanks..

Old 11-10-07, 06:25 AM
When you said the fan stopped, did the compressor and furnace fan stop as well?

Not really clear on what you are saying.

Old 11-10-07, 07:21 AM
P
Clarification

I am sorry for the ambiguity. I have a dual fuel configuration. The furnace (in emergency)(natural gas) works fine. The only thing not working was the heat pump (heat or cool). There is power to the unit, however, when there is a call for heat or cooling, the fan does not work, nor the compressor. A friend mentioned there "might" be a reset on this unit. He indicated with the starts/stops I had performed, I may have created high head pressure on the compressor and caused it to trip a breaker. His has this feature, and mine being a newer unit, may not have one. I was simply asking before a place a service call. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-10-07, 12:33 PM
I don't know Amana products and I was unable to find a manual on line, but follow the copper line from outside to compressor, you may find a control on the copper line with 2 wires on it.. Most newer unit is Auto reset.

Sounds like you are looking for the pressure switch.

Old 11-10-07, 01:42 PM
P
It appears you are right one Jay

When I came home from work this morning, I turned off the emergency heat and switched to auto mode. The house was where it needed to be so I raised the temp 2 degrees. Low and behold the condensor fan came on with a call for heat ( could not run fast enough to hear the controls on the compressor). :-) It apparently is working also. There is a 5 minute short cycle protection on the unit and yes, I waited long afterf five minutes yesterday. I also peered inside the coil from above and there are 2 pressure switches (looks like low and high) with wires there. So as you have so graciously implied they appear to be automatic. Thanks! Had to sleep today, so no time to "ensure" the compressor was working. Will try this evening. Thanks so far...

Old 11-10-07, 05:20 PM
Glad to hear you got it running.... well it got itself running!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: