heil 5000 heat pump question

Old 11-13-07, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

i am new to forum but see much helpful advice..i need some please...i have a 9 year old heil 5000 heat pump/ac unit..it has worked fine for the 5 years i have owned the home with the exception of 3oz. of freon to top it off 2 years ago...serviceman said could find no leaks ..my unit has an 11.4 seer rating and a 7.8 heat rating..i change my air filters religiously and clean inside coils every year...keep outside unit cleaned too..the a/c part of unit worked fine all summer....my problem started yesterday in heat pump mode ..in morning i heard compressor kick in but the outside fan unit did not start..the auxiliary heat light was on and i knew that wasnt normal either... it was 38 outside and thermostat was set on 65..i immediately turned thermostat down to shut unit off..waited 10 minutes(2 cigarettes as i was nervous) and then eased thermostat back up to 60..unit kicked on normally and was fine rest of day..(it warmed up to 62 outside during the day)..then in the evening when it got colder outside(around 40) the unit did the same thing..thermostat still set on 62...compressor kicked on but no outside fan again..i repeated my actions from earlier and as safety measure, while thermostat was turned down and unit was not running, i reset my circuit breakers that controlled furnace unit although they had not been tripped...when i eased thermostat back up to 62 the unit worked normal and outside fan /compressor cycled on together...now i am afraid to set thermostat above 62..unit is putting out warm air but it really hasnt been that cold outside...i have basic understanding of heat pumps but am still novice at best...i am scared that if it happens again and i do not catch it , it will burn compressor up ..any advice on possible problem?? question : if the thermostat is set too high and it calls for more heat than the heat pump can immediately put out , would this cause my current problem??..or would my thermostat/transformer possibly be shorting out ?...or would low gas cause this problem??..i'm baffled to whether it is electrical problem or parts malfunction..unit done okay today but now i dont trust and cold weather is just around the corner..i have emergency heat strips in unit but who can afford to run those/i dont see many inquiries about heil products..are they okay??..thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-07, 04:54 PM
Hi catt:

Heil is ok. Middle of the road unit.

The thermostat has 2 stages, so if it's set more than say 3 degrees above the room temp, both stages will come on. The second stage is the aux heat. As for the fan motor, it may be on it's way out or maybe it's not getting power the first time around. That could be a wiring problem, worn contactor points or worn bearings in the motor.

Old 11-14-07, 11:23 AM

thanks daddyjohn , would the worn fan bearings you mentioned cause the fan unit to make unusual noises( like metal on metal) or would it be something i just wouldnt hear or notice??..because when unit works properly , it does sound the same as it has in past and runs smoothly...and a few more questions please , is the output/vent heat temperature ( without auxilary heat on) directly related to the outside temperature or should it be consistent regardless of thermostat setting and outside ambient temp ??...how would i know if unit were a little low on freon???..would this cause less output heat or would unit just fail to operate ??..will i have to just wait until it is 20 degrees outside to know if freon is low because the auxilary heat would stay on ALL the time?.... other than having serviceman check freon , would i have any warning signals that gas level was a little low??..and finally would this low gas create the outside blower unit not kicking in problem i was originally having??..thank you sir..i know easy to just call repairman but i am just one of those people that WANTS TO KNOW before cutting loose of $50.00 plus an hour to have someone come play with my unit...and possibly doing more harm than good. thanks again..i'm never to old to want to learn more.

Old 11-14-07, 04:22 PM
Next time the unit does this take a stick and give the fan slight push in the normal travel direction, if it starts up after the push and runs normally install a new motor capacitor for the fan motor. Your unit probably utilizes a dual capacitor just be sure to match the uf ratings and change it out. Now if your fan motor is stiff and hard to turn you will need a new motor and capacitor. If the motor is bad it will usually have some stiffness and will not spin around very easily when pushed with a stick its kinda hard to judge that though unless you have messed with one or two before lol. While you are doing your repair work you may want to closely inspect your fan motor and see if it has oil ports. If it does be sure to get a few drops in there that will make it last MUCH longer however if the motor is already stiff it will probably not help or if it does it will be temporary.

Old 11-14-07, 04:30 PM
Wink

Not sure where you are . But think it will cost more than $50. to look at it. You sure you didnt see it in defrost???? Some units the fan dont run in defrost. Might check when it does this if the fan is getting 220V. If not its then on to the defrost board.

Old 11-16-07, 08:34 AM

thank you everyone , still baffled...it did the same thing last night..it was 36 degrees outside...i eased thermostat up to 62..unit came on as normal..i started suspecting defrost problem since i havent heard the " whoosh" noise and steam as it has done in the past during defrost..it ran for fifteen minutes and i watched the coils get a little frost on them..my gas line coming from unit was real warm to the touch, which i read on forum was proper ...then fan shut off but compressor still humming/aux heat light came on..i didnt let it run though as i eased thermostat back down..NOW the reply from Ed imeduc has me wondering if fan is suppose to shut completely off during defrost mode..and if so HOW LONG?..AND SHOULD COMPRESSOR STILL BE HUMMING?...outside fan unit would not come back on last night after that happened as i suspect the coil didnt thaw out since it was cold and damp out ..i shut off power to it..got down to 26 degrees outside ...QUESTIONS: unit puts out good vent heat when running properly but would low gas cause my outside fan problem???..and how long should defrost mode take ??..and would outside fan unit still stay off when i have turned thermostat down and turned unit off in middle of defrost cycle??..and finally , at what outside temp should defrost cycle kick in?? because unit seems to do fine as long as coils dont frost up..and how would i know if my outside fan my unit is suppose to stop while defrosting ?? if i let compressor hum and fan wasnt on , would it burn up compressor..sorry everyone...i think i'm getting closer to prob and still wondering how low gas would relate to outside fan unit not working..it's first day of deer season and all repairmen are hunting next few days..kinda on my own here..thank you everyone for your replies!

Old 11-20-07, 09:18 AM
heil 5000 heat pump question/problem

thanks for all the advice everybody...turns out the prob was in my inside heil tstat ..a short/arc in the cheap little slide switch between normal heat mode and emergency heat mode ...the switch had loose feel to it and didnt"click"into place as it should...just touching thermostat would create enough movement to make a short from heat to emergency mode ..which in turn would kick off everything..then when i eased thermostat back up , it would make enough vibration to make correct contact and go into defrost mode..which explains why everything worked but no outside fan...tstat is 9 years old, older couple owned the home before me and used fireplace alot..they would use on/off switch alot too which i suspect just plain wore it out...anyway, up and going..and ed imeduc , you were right about fan shutting off during defrost mode..for about 2 minutes..man i went thru the whole gambit of writing down on times/off times/tstat setting/temp readings /vent output heat readings etc to track this down..if i had been serviceman, i could have easily racked up 1000.00 service call..but then again , if i had been serviceman , i probably would have looked at tstat first...live and learn..thanks again everybody..god bless and happy thanksgiving!!