Sell Gas Heater for Electric?

Old 11-25-07, 11:18 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sell Gas Heater for Electric?

I'm looking to heat my soon to be fully insulated 400sq ft garage to to small jobs on our cars.

I purchased a 30kbtu ventless gas wall heater for the job, but after looking at the difficulty that would be involved in getting lines out to my garage I'm thinking that electric might be a lot easier to install. The run would just be extremely convoluted through lots of brick and concrete. The concerns about ventless heaters was less important to me, but another reason to consider the switch.

My question is about how much more it would cost (relatively) to run the electric heater vs gas? I'd try to keep the garage (attached) to be within 10-15 degrees of the house at all times.

Can you recommend some good wall-mounted electric heaters? I'm happy to run a 220V if needed. I'm guessing I won't need the 30kbtu once I get the insulation done.

Old 11-26-07, 11:42 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Use this calculator to assess the cost of various fuels.

http://www.warmair.com/html/fuel_cost_comparisons.htm

I cannot stress enough that opinion that using a ventless fuel-fired heater in your garage is a big mistake. Ignoring for the moment the safety hazard of which I am sure you are aware the ventless heater will be putting a lot of water vapor into the air. This end up causing all your tools to rust and may have adverse effects on the building itself. Please do not consider using a ventless heater.

Old 11-26-07, 09:08 PM
B
Thanks for the link Furd. That was enough to convince me that staying with gas is the way to go with all things considered.

And I agree that ventless just wasn't what I wanted in the end for all my toys in the garage.

Can you recommend a nice electic heater for the 400sq ft garage? Something that looks clean and mounts in the studs would be great IMO. 220v is fine if needed.

Old 11-28-07, 12:30 PM
Wink

Might check out Grainger for what they have. look into the electric unit heaters that hang on the ceiling and move them to blow where you are working. Also check on some heat cool shops. They can have old electric furnaces that you can use in the garage I know we sell all our old furnaces for that. Have on in my garage for heat. With the big blower on it picks up the heat fast. If you still think gas . Dont forget No ventless at all. Also most codes call for the open flame to be 2ft or higher up off the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: