Is This Normal Operation For My Heat Pump

Old 11-27-07, 12:57 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is This Normal Operation For My Heat Pump

can someone please clarify ? my heil 5000 heat pump has me a little baffled..is it normal operation for my unit to start up in defrost mode?...the compressor will start up as in defrost mode ,run a couple of minutes before the outside blower kicks in,then runs okay...the outside temp was 37 degrees and the tstat was set at 60 and there wasnt any visible signs of frost on coils..IS THIS NORMAL?...also, it seems to shut off in defrost mode..the compressor will run a few minutes after the outside fan kicks off, steam rises then the compressor shuts off ( as in defrost mode)...IS THIS NORMAL TOO??..how do i know if my unit has a timer for defrost mode or a thermostat??...and should output heat from vents be a constant temp reading in heat pump mode??..in aux heat mode too??...and lastly , should i always hear the famous"whoosh" noise when it goes in and out of defrost mode?? thanks, hope someone can clarify for me.

Old 11-27-07, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catt7500 View Post
can someone please clarify ? my heil 5000 heat pump has me a little baffled..is it normal operation for my unit to start up in defrost mode?..
I have not been around those brand, so I honestly don't know?? Maybe someone else can chime in.

How long have you had this unit? Has it acted like this before hand?

I'm taking a very wild guess here since I have no info to look this up, I am going to say you may have a defective defrost control.. but we'll see if some one else has something to say.

Old 11-28-07, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

should i always hear the famous"whoosh" noise when it goes in and out of defrost mode??
Yes you will --Cause it turns the unit around from a heat to a AC unit. Like Jay not sure what kind of defrost board you have there. But the unit should not just start and stop in defrost all the time. Does the board have a light on it??? what does it do. Might read the paper work that came with the unit as to what the light flashes on the board mean.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: