Best temp lockout Balance Point?

Old 12-01-07, 05:49 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best temp lockout Balance Point?

I've searched and haven't found any good recomendations. I'm in wetern NY with 2 stage heat (main-heat pump and aux-electric strips).

I have a vision pro tstat with temp sensor outside.

What are the best or most cost effective settings for the compressor lockout (balance point) and heat pump aux lockout?

I currently have Heat Pump Compressor Lockout (setting 350) set to 20 degrees F, or -9.5C.

The HeatPump Aux lockout (setting 360) set to 40 degrees F, or 4.5C.

I'm not sure if it's more cost effective to run the heat pump, strips, or both depending on temp...

Old 12-01-07, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by nickdiy View Post

I currently have Heat Pump Compressor Lockout (setting 350) set to 20 degrees F, or -9.5C.
I would bring it down more, Turn it down more after a few days. If you turn it down, say 10˚f, and you no longer feel "warm" in your home, then bump it back up.

The HeatPump Aux lockout (setting 360) set to 40 degrees F, or 4.5C.
That is good.

I'm not sure if it's more cost effective to run the heat pump, strips, or both depending on temp...
Heat pump is cheaper to run, and can cycle into AUx as needed.. I wouldn't want to use Electric only all time.

Old 12-01-07, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Around here we tell people to set it or just go on over to AUX when its down to around 20oF. Cost to run it is about the same .

Old 12-02-07, 11:21 AM
N
Thanks for the replies, I'll give the suggestions a try.

Old 12-05-07, 09:43 PM
D
Is it always more efficient to have the heat pump running?

Is it always more efficient to have the heat pump running?

I'm wondering if setting back the temperature over night is a good idea. What usually happens is the heat pump kicks in ~2-3hrs before the required time and depending on the outside temperature the system requires the Aux to bring it up once the program time is reached. I'm guessing you lose what you gained by setting back when the Aux kicks in?

Would it be better to have the heat pump maintain the temperature overnight?

What about the whole lockout system, I can see locking out the Aux as being very useful, but how exactly is locking out the compressor of any use if it's more efficient? There's no easy way to determine the breakpoint at which the heat pump is less efficient than strips right? Not to mention the fact that the honeywell tstat has a 20 F cap on the lockout.

Old 12-05-07, 10:14 PM
David,

For heat pump system, you are best to "set it and forget it".

Heat pump don't recover like gas would.. Running the heat pump is cheaper than runing Aux heat. (I am guessing electric?)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: