HELP?! What type of system do I have?

Old 12-05-07, 01:34 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HELP?! What type of system do I have?

Good afternoon, everyone;

I just had a Honeywell RTH8500 Touch Screen Programmable Thermostat installed by an electrician and I'm not convinced it's properly done. Here's some background:

1. I have a forced air system. I have a Lennox EC10Q3-20 furnace about 20yrs old and there's a separate air conditioning unit on the outside of the house.

2. The system is on the EMG HEAT setting, as instructed by both the electrician AND Honeywell Customer Service. Heat was coming out of the vents when the electrician cranked it up to a desired temp of 89.5 and the inside temp was at 70.0. Is it normal that the thermostat would show "Aux Heat On"? Is it dependent on how far apart the desired and actual temperatures are for the "Aux" to turn on?

3. A couple of hours after he left, I set the desired temp to 73 while the inside temp was 70. The fan came on and started to blow out moderately warm air. Is this normal. Maybe I need some education here, but as long as Aux Heat doesn't come on, wouldn't the heated air coming out of the vents always be more or less the same temperature until the area achieves the desired temp. on teh thermostat. Or is it dependent on how far apart the actual and desired temps. are (remember, as long as Aux Heat isn't on)?

4. Why does my system have to be on EMG HEAT setting on the thermostat and not the normal HEAT setting? This is where I think it was improperly programmed or even wired improperly. See next question.

5. When programming the thermostat, the electrician set it as if I had a Multi-Stage Heat Pump. Again, I think I need some education here, but my understanding is that I don't have a heat pump, but rather a electric furnace and an outside AC unit. Should he have set it to Conventional Multi-Stage System? If yes, how do I know if I have 2 heating & one cooling (or any other combination) without checking the wiring? Reason I say without checking the wires is that I didn't see how it was wired before he installed the new thermostat. In other words, can I know just by checking my system components?

Thank you very much.
Piero Fusco

Last edited by oberan1; 12-05-07 at 01:36 PM. Reason: omitted word
Old 12-05-07, 07:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is your make and model # for your unit outside?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: