Variation on a theme...

Old 12-07-07, 11:18 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Variation on a theme...

My issue is that the auxillary heat seems to come on any time the heat comes on--on both upstairs and downstairs units. Except the blue light doesn't come on. So maybe they aren't, but the temperature coming out of the vents is hot and dry, which is not how they usually are (that is, in 22 yrs in the house) except when the strips come on. I'm sure my next bill will confirm.

The fans run. Things cycle on and off when the temp starts to drop inside (I'm checking thermometers). Filters have been changed. The line coming from the unit (with insulation on it) is warm/hot to the touch. It's not very cold out (I'm in southeast). I haven't made big changes to the t-state temp (as I said, it's this way every time the unit comes on). The freon was checked earlier in the year and were fine. They ran great during the summer (after I replaced a contactor, that is).

Yes, the units are old. But they've required only about $100 in parts in the last 10-12 years, so in my book a few dollars here and there is fine. (And I don't believe in a throw-away culture, even if I live in one.) Since the last time I fixed it myself after three "professionals" failed to notice the worn contactor sitting on top, I think I'd like to figure this out myself. And besides, it's such a rush, isn't it?

So, what do I check next?

Old 12-08-07, 05:56 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Do you own an Amp meter?

Old 12-08-07, 08:55 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no, but I suppose I could get one--is there an inexpensive one you recommend?

Old 12-08-07, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

They all cost $$$ I think what you should check is to see if any of the elements are stuck on??? Or come on all the time. You could open the unit and check with a meter and see if they get 220V when the unit is running. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING HERE

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: