Minimum temperature in winter for maximum efficiency

Old 12-12-07, 08:39 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Minimum temperature in winter for maximum efficiency

Hi
Is there any study done or resources where i can find what is the minimum temperature to be maintained in the house to get maximum efficiency.
For example when you go for work what is the temperature to be set inside the house, or at night when you are using only bedroom what should be the temperature in the house.
So it wont use a lot of energy in morning or in evening to warm it.
We keep the temperature at about 70 when in home and using the whole house.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-07, 08:46 AM
The greatest efficiency would come from setting it to zero, turning it off. It's as simple as that.

But of course then your pipes freeze.

This whole business about using more energy to catch up during the few minutes in the morning than it would have ALL NIGHT is dicey, to put it nicely.

Old 12-12-07, 05:28 PM
Wink

WE tell people with the heat pump. Set it and let it alone. Anytime you have that 2o drop the tstat will turn the elements on to bring the home back up to temp. So you lost what you saved

Old 12-12-07, 05:40 PM
J
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
WE tell people with the heat pump. Set it and let it alone. Anytime you have that 2o drop the tstat will turn the elements on to bring the home back up to temp. So you lost what you saved

Isn't your theory incorrect if you have a two stage unit with a programmable theromstat? For argument sake I have such a unit and I set my temp back about 4 deg. at night. My second stage will not come on unless the temp coming out is less than 90 deg.

Old 12-12-07, 06:10 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Mine is 2 degress!

Old 12-13-07, 04:47 PM
Wink

[QUOTEI set my temp back about 4 deg. at night. My second stage will not come on unless the temp coming out is less than 90 deg.][/QUOTE]
Then in the morning the elements will come on to help pick you back up 2o there ,then shut off.

Old 12-13-07, 05:44 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
All depends on how you've got it set up, and what kind of thermostat you have.

I have a thermostat that 'learns' how long it takes to go from one setting to the other, and will start the cycle early enough to reach the target temp on time so it doesn't use the elements.

In addition, my unit is wired so that I can turn the elements off with a flip of a breaker. This is where I have it now as it prett much never gets cold enough in florida to need them, and I don't have to worry about them getting 'stuck' on.