Im so confused, many questions

Old 12-13-07, 09:56 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Im so confused, many questions

I need a new heat pump and indoor unit. My old unit was 10 SEER using 0.25" refrigerant lines.

My new unit will be a 13 SEER, and will require 3/8" refrigerant lines. These need to be run from outside to the air handler (about 14') through the ceiling of a finished basement.

I've received 5 quotes.

Gibson - 3 ton, 13 SEER, $3800
Frigidaire - 3 ton, 13 SEER, $4200
Ruud - 2 ton, 13 SEER, $4250
Amana - 2 ton, 13 SEER, $5400
Trane - 2 ton, 13 SEER, $6500

The Gibson, the Ruud, and the Amana all use the R22 Freon.

The Frigidaire and Trane both use 410A.

I've tried to find "reviews" or product comparisons, and find it very difficult. All I've been able to do is learn that Gibson, Ruud, and Frigidaire are "builder grade"...but am not really sure what that means.

I also don't know how to check the "quality" of the installation I would be getting.

I've contacted 3 people, 2 independent guys who run their onw, and 1 big company that does a lot of advertising/charges a lot more.

So here are my questions:

Is there going to be a noticeable difference in quality between the units I mentioned? If so, which should I avoid and which should I expect to work great

How do you find out how qualified an individual installer is?

Old 12-13-07, 02:19 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Did any company do a heat load on the home. Hard to say which way to go without that.

Old 12-13-07, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You can get the Trane units in R22 for sure. Thats all we try and sell for now. Also to get the tax credit from the IRS you have to go with a seer over 15. With what power cost not for sure go for a unit over a seer of 15. That will also give you a better HSPF of about 8.05 on the heatpump. If you will be in this home for the next 10 years go for the good stuff. It will pay you back. Get a V/S blower .With all this you can get a 10 year warranty on it all. Dont just look at the cost now Look down the line.
Call in to the BBB there and ask them about the company.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: