iced over heat pump?

Old 12-14-07, 11:44 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
iced over heat pump?

Thanks in advance for any advice. We have a relatively new, 15 month old, Trane heat pump (not sure model #) that has been iceing over this winter. It seems to work fine and if I switch to AC, you can see one of the pipes actually defrost. After reading some of the other posts, I'm thinking I have a problem with the defrost control. I called a tech to come look, but they want $100 just to come to the house and then estimated about $450 to fix it. Is this something a fairly competent person could fix themselves? And if so, how much would a part like this cost and where could I get one?
Thanks!

Old 12-14-07, 02:04 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not an expert but it could have a couple diff. problems#1 your reversing valve but then if your ac works it is not that so maybe your therm-stat or your defrost sequential timer ? if it has one.

Old 12-14-07, 02:06 PM
T
zacnmic

outside HP condenser should be under warranty for part-you will probably be responsible for labor.

First the problem needs to be diagnosed by an HVAC pro. I would start with installing dealer.

Good Luck!

Old 12-14-07, 03:44 PM
Z
Thanks for replying. I'll probably have the tech come out and take a look. I just hate having to pay a $100 and hour to fix something that should last longer than a year. The part may be warranteed, but the labor isn't.

Old 12-14-07, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

IF IF like around here and you had the ice storms. You might take a hose and try and melt the ice off . Let it run in AC also for a time . Or go over the EME heat for that time. Make sure the top is open and the fan can blow air out. Might just try this first . If it ice's up again call a tech for sure. As I say this is is just a IF IF. That we have had with the ice storm.

Old 12-18-07, 11:22 AM
Z
Tech came out today and said defrost board was faulty. He also mentioned seeing this problem a lot lately with these newer Trane units. The part is warranteed, but the labor is not. However, I complained and negotiated enough that it is only going to cost me about $100. If this is a common problem, I would I hope a company like "Trane" would want to fix take care of it.

Old 12-18-07, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say thats BULL. I sell Trane. So far this year the guys have put in two new defrost board.On other makes and not one on any old or new Trane this year. Yes we have had to put some new defrost boards in tranes over many many years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: