Heat Pump trying to Defrost

Old 12-27-07, 06:33 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump trying to Defrost

Hi I was just reading a post by Slybry....it says his Heat Pumps tries starting in Defrost...I have a similar problem where mine will try defrosting 3-6 times.....finally it goes into defrost mode.....melts itself switches back to Heat Pump mode works fine....the difference being all the time the Outside unit is attempting to defrost the indoor fan runs as the Aux strips do there job.....so similar but a bit different....is this something to do with the reversing valve?
Its a 4 year old Armstrong Air Concept 1000 ....

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-07, 10:35 AM
H
trying to defrost

Ok..I went outside....saw that the Heat Pump is a Frosty frozen piece of equipment....it hissed the fan stopped it stated to defrost..then it stopped after less than a minute and tried to defrost, tried again and again after 6 trys it finally begun defrosting and finished it defrost and then went back to eat pump mode.....hmmmm??

Old 12-27-07, 05:53 PM
What happens when it tries to defrost, and you switch the t-stat switch from Heat to Cool?

Old 12-28-07, 05:56 AM
H
I`ll give it a try when I get back home Saturday....whats does this tell me/you? A t-stat problem..wiring? I was having this happen last year a few times....They did come before xmas and install a "Talking T-stat" and checked all the wiring from Air Handler to heat pump back to T-stat.....I had been having problems with cold air blowing when the Pump went into defrost...seems better now except for the defrost hesistation I am getting now....it`s out of Warranty now and I`d rather not deal with the same contractors again ....so any help is appreciated.

Old 12-28-07, 09:31 AM
There is a valve, and want to see if the valve is moving over in cool as it should. From what you've stated so far kinda sounds like is the valve is not changing over like it should..

Old 12-28-07, 11:59 AM
H
a reversing valve? perhaps.....

Old 12-31-07, 05:05 PM
H
well I tried what you said.....when I flipped it over to "cool", it didn`t do anything.....it stopped "trying" to defrost....flipped it back to heat....it kicked into defrost then hissed and "pumped".....

Old 01-01-08, 04:27 PM
I bet the timer went on to prevent you from trying to run the compressor in short cycle.

So I take it's working now??

Old 01-29-08, 04:39 PM
H
sorry for the slow replies....I have had my Heat Pump on Aux until just 10 mins ago.....I switched it over to Heat and it tried starting in Defrost mode (its 40 degrees outside)...ran over to tstat and switched it to Cool and it shut down and got quiet..... put it back to heat it was still in defrost mode...30 secs it hissed and the fan started...... its running somewaht normal now.....

Old 01-31-08, 07:53 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If all wiring and t-stat was checked, then go ahead and replace the defrost board.

Old 03-03-08, 05:58 AM
H
well guess what?

I found a replacement board.....changed it today....no change the pump still tries to defrost and finally kicks in....now what....I installed a "lennox/armstrong board part number 44614-001 same as the old one ..the defrost pins are jumpered for 60 mins is that ok up here in Snowy Ontario....is the reversing valve bad? Low coolant? I just spent 80 bucks for nothing

Old 03-03-08, 09:50 AM
Wink

.....when I flipped it over to "cool", it didn`t do anything.....
Try that again when you go to cool it should go over to AC . That will run the same as defrost. ???????

Old 03-04-08, 06:16 PM
H
tried it tonight....it started hunting/humping..whatever you want to call it.....went right to the t-stat and flipped it to cool and nothing..it went silent like it was never even on....went back to heat it defrosted for a min then shut off....I assume it satisfied itself...now what?

Old 03-25-08, 06:59 PM
H
update...update

Ok I had another tech come out today...he jumpered the reversing valve..it seems to switch over ok....he said the large line was much hotter than the small one..perhaps the valve wasn`t switching over 100%....tonight I was outside...just as it switched into defrost....it defrosted for maybe one minute, then off/silent..tried to come back on to defrost.no luck..tried again, no luck...finally after a third try it finished defrosting......is the compressor having issues?