"Perfume" Smell from Furnace Vents

Old 12-27-07, 09:37 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question "Perfume" Smell from Furnace Vents

Greetings!

I live in a new home in the Appomattox area of Virginia having taken up residence for one year.

I have a Gibson heat pump and my furnace is located in my basement. I noticed periodically during November and December, a sweet "perfume" smell eminating from my heating vents. Again, it's rather spuradic, but a definite smell which is not isolated to any particular area or vent.

I'm concerned - is this Freon leaking? I do change out my furnace filter on a scheduled basis - the one in my hallway - though I did notice that there is also a place for a furnace filter at the furnace itself, though no filter is in that slot - I was told I didn't need one.

Do you have any idea what this smell is? It was not present during the summer when the air conditioning was running.

Kindest regards,

Gai Ferdon

Old 12-27-07, 05:47 PM
Hello Gai,

Welcome aboard.. Do you have a humidifier, or UV Light?

Old 12-28-07, 03:50 PM
F
Perfume Smell

Greetings Jay,

Thank you so much for entertaining my question. Unfortunately I do not have the items you mentioned, though I do have a little dehumidifier which I have used in my basement.

Also, someone else thought it might be refrigerant leaking 0 possibly R410A, and who also mentioned something about "Dirty Sock Syndrome." Please let me know your thoughts - I'm a novice I'm afraid.

Gai

Old 12-28-07, 05:05 PM
If you had a leak in the system, you would be getting poor heating or cooling results.

It may be the off gas that you get with new homes.. VOC gas may be trapped in your home... do you have an air exchanger or fresh air tired to the return duct?

Old 12-28-07, 05:17 PM
F
Greetings Jay,

I have absolutely no idea - I would I look for this or test for this gas?

Gai

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: