mobile home electric furnace

Old 01-03-08, 01:12 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy mobile home electric furnace

I have an electric furnace (stand alone unit) that as of today will run until it trips the breaker. Although it will trip before reaching the set temperature. It is on a 100amp breaker by itself and the breaker gets very hot before tripping. The filters are new and the unit has been oiled and cleaned; resetting the breaker only starts the same routine again. Please advise as i am freezing.

Old 01-03-08, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is it an electric heater, or is it gas fired with an electric forced fan? For a unit to trip a 100 amp breaker, there is something major wrong. I can't conceive a heater running 100 amps. Your entire home is probably only 100 amp central service, maybe 200. Verify what type heater is it so we can give better advice. It may come down to having a HVAC expert look at it and make recommendations.

Old 01-03-08, 06:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
It's possible it's just a bad breaker. The main breaker at our church [100 amp service] used to heat up and trip before it was replaced. I have a house built around a MH and I replaced the elec heat with a heat pump but the old elec furnace was on a 70 amp breaker.

Old 01-03-08, 12:57 PM
E
Mobile home electric heater

Thank-you both for your replies. First off it is a Intertherm Electric Heater, totally electric. It was installed in the home within a Seimen Breaker box. It is run on a separate 100 amp breaker as i stated, The AC unit is central and is on it's own breaker also. I have discovered that if i leave the thermostat on 65 degrees it will not trip but that is a bit cold. I assure you it is 100 amp double pole breaker as it is labeled as such. I foud this to be unusual also but i have now talked to several people that have the same set-up. Also, i am worried that it might burn the bus bar as i have been told is possible. It has ran fine for over 8 years until this. Any advice? Wierd it runs fine unless you turn the thermostat up over 65.

Old 01-05-08, 05:48 PM
O
I am assuming you are talking about the breaker on the base of the floor next to the blower. I had a similure problem and it was a problem with the sequencer. What I would do if you are not scared of the electricity and keep all children away from the unit while you are doing this. Take the panel off around the breaker and run the unit and have somone turn the t-stat up so you can get a visual and see if anything is arcing or something in that area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: