doesn't seem to ever be really warm/blows cold air out of registers

Old 01-10-08, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question doesn't seem to ever be really warm/blows cold air out of registers

Have a Goodman heat pump split unit which seems to never really warm the house. The unit is 2 years old.Could a proper refrigerant charge cause the unit to malfunction? This cccurs regardless of how warm it is outside above 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Additionally, it seems to run all the time.
The house is very well insulated and seemed to be warmer last winter than it is this winter. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-08, 08:04 PM
What is the air temp coming out of the vent?

Is the unit outside a big ball of ice, or frost in small area?

Old 01-11-08, 05:53 AM
Temp coming out of vent is 10 degrees colder than thermostat setting; no ice or frost outside on unit; it is a split unit and the next one will be a packaged unit-easier to work on

Old 01-11-08, 07:29 AM
sounds like it may be low on charge, so time to call in some one.

Keep us posted on what you've find on the service call.

Old 01-11-08, 09:23 AM
Wink

Im with Jay . Call a tech to check out the freon in it. The big copper line should be hot to warm when unit is on in heat. Are you sure that the compressor is running????

Old 01-11-08, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Northport1 View Post
Have a Goodman heat pump split unit which seems to never really warm the house. The unit is 2 years old.Could a proper refrigerant charge cause the unit to malfunction? This cccurs regardless of how warm it is outside above 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Additionally, it seems to run all the time.
The house is very well insulated and seemed to be warmer last winter than it is this winter. Thanks for your time.
i have three heat pumps. i switched from natural gas and saved a lot. it is, however, hard to get used to. the heat pumps just will not put out HOT AIR. it warms the house great and the bills are good. it just isn't as warm to the touch as gas. if you find a problem, post it so we can all learn. thanks!

Old 01-11-08, 07:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yup the I recently noticed a interesting statement in a Rheem Heat Pump operation manual it actually states several times in the literature these exact words Quote "The air may feel cool but WILL BE WARM" hmmmmmmmmm compared to gas heat it will be feeling real cool no doubt. My Heil 125,000 btu gas unit just kicked on and wow now that baby puts out some HOT air LOL it does not feel cool at all, it feels HOT. brb I have to go turn the t-stat down a bit its getting HOT in here.

Old 01-12-08, 09:03 AM
I too went from a N/G unit to a H/P and after 3 yrs still cant's get use to it..

Old 01-13-08, 12:35 PM
Wink

You might see if you can slow the blower down just a little. It will make the air feel warmer.

Old 01-16-08, 07:36 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
We moved to OR last year and into a house with a York 13 year old electric heat pump. Our first experience with a heat pump.

Right now it is 27 degrees outside, heat pump on, thermostat set at 72 degrees and the heat coming out of the register is 112 degrees.

The York thermostat has two LED lights, one red and the other blue. Both are on now, red indicates that the heating coils are on.

When red goes out and just blue is on, the air coming out of the register is about 75 degrees.

It seems to run a lot, about 90% of the time. It had a check-up 6 months ago by a York tech and pronounced OK.

That's all I know about heat pumps.

Old 01-16-08, 10:34 PM
I assume you have gas back-up heat.

The charge could be off or one of the indoor/outdoor coils is most likely dirty. One good sign of an undercharged heatpump is if the outside coil freezes unevenly.

If heatpump heat is not your thing, but want to save money.

Have a compatable modulating electric heat bank installed to maintain your desired duct temperature.

I like it hot.

Old 01-16-08, 10:46 PM
yorks

Those readings are possible on a good running system.

Many variables dictate duct temperature including, but not limited to, air speed, dirty coil, and refrigerant charge.

Your heatbanks may need to be turned on at a warmer temperature outside.

I would 1st look at ways to seal up my house better.

Heat-pumps should and do run a majority of the time at cold temps.

Yorks make cool roof top service access doors.