Zone control sends wrong command

Old 01-13-08, 02:32 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Zone control sends wrong command

I have a SLimzone Deluxe with one expander board (5 zones) running a Goodman heat pump. Actually it is the SECOND one and the same problem exists. Although the start-up checks are in accord with the manual, when the system is running it sends a cool command (fan on, compressor running and reversing valve energized). I can't figure out why during the checks a heat command is sent but when the thermostats are alive a cool command is sent. The wiring from the thermostats (Climatouch) is double checked correct; can't be as certain about the wiring to the unit but the controller should send the right command even if the unit was not hooked up I figure. I am pretty confident about the wiring to the unit.

Old 01-14-08, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Can it be the defrost board in the unit that is doing this to you??????/

Old 01-14-08, 03:04 PM
B
Slimzone Deluxe wrong command

Thanks for the comment Ed. I don't think so. The command to run the fan, compressor and energize the reversing valve is immediate as soon as any thermostat calls for heat. I pulled the W2/OB lead from the panel and the heat pump runs in the heat mode and defrosts just like normal but of course now I can't cool. I thought maybe these power stealing thermostats were the problem especially since with more than one calling for heat the panel freezes up. I pulled the blue wire from the thermostat (with only one zone powered and wired) and added the 300 ohm resistors that were provided to run from 24N to Y and W on the zone block...resistor to Y heats up just as advertised with a heat call but no change in operation. Also when more than one thermostat calls for heat the zone control starts snapping the fan on/off, on/off and all zones flash their LED (tried this with resistors in place on all used zones). Can't have the backup electric furnace selected on the Climatouch either or the zone control simply won't respond to a heat call at all. I'm actually on my THIRD board now...all act the same. Climatouch works the heat pump perfectly without the zone controller. I think it's time to call a priest.

Last edited by beachdad; 01-14-08 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-08, 02:08 PM
B
Slimzone Control sends wrong command

Well, it occurred to me that since Invensys says don't use heat pump thermostats with the Slimzone that maybe I shouldn't have them set to run a heat pump! Duh! I programmed two of the Climatouch stats to run an air conditioner and and electric furnace. Result...the panel sent the correct command for heat to the compressor unit outside!
But we are not home yet. One of the thermostats drops back to "night" display (backlighting goes off) and when that happens the Slimzone starts its cycling of the zone and fan LEDs and the stat clicks. If the backlight is programmed to stay on this does not happen but then the heat command is never received by the Slimzone evidently. The other thermostat that stays backlit always drops power and cycles back up when the Slimzone sends the heat command. I tried putting one zone online with the thermostat on it's own transformer but the commands from the thermostat were not received by the Slimzone...must need to have the red wire from the stat hooked to the zone. I'm open to suggestions.

Old 01-26-08, 02:39 PM
Might want to double check dip switch settings especially #4.

Should be on page 25 of the manual.

Old 01-28-08, 03:01 PM
B
Slimzone panel functions properly now

Thanks Jarredsdad. The dip switches are fine. However I think I have this whipped! In my initial installation my Climatouch CT03TS series stats did not stay powered when an energy call was made; page 16 of the Slimzone manual shows an alternate hookup with 24N going to X (C on my stats). This allowed the stats to work but since it was obvious now that they are "power stealing" thermostats the panel was giving up too much power and would not function properly. Nor would it function when I hooked the 300 ohm resistors to 24N and W and Y. I got it working with only three zones hooked up and NO resistors from 24N to W or Y. Adding my last two zones froze the panel again. Here's the funny thing...the paper work Robert Shaw provides with the panel indicates that power stealing stats require the resistors for the panel to work properly, it does NOT say you ALSO have to hook 24N to W and Y! I put the resistors on the last two zones along with the 24N to W and Y connection. That did it! I'm really pleased because I like these stats and the panel but it was heck to get them to work together. I plan to add another 24V source for two of my dampers since the stats still pull enough power off each zone to keep them from fully functioning.

Old 03-11-08, 04:16 PM
B
Slimzone Deluxe Controller Working!

O.K. could be the final post on this one. Page 1 of the Slimzone Deluxe manual says the controller will power two or three wire motorized zone dampers...NOT THE WHOLE STORY!
All my dampers are three wire but they are different brands. My rectangular dampers use one common wire and then one of the other two wires to open and the other to close. (one hot wire required at a time). My Durozone round dampers use one common wire and one of the other wires to close but requires another hot wire to open! (Two hot wires required to open). The Slimzone Deluxe does not support two hot wires to a zone. Even though these are three wire dampers they are not compatible with the Slimzone Deluxe. Solution: I got some 24VAC relays and hooked them up so when the Slimzone sends the "power open" signal it is used to throw the relay to power the "power close" terminal AND the "power open terminal". The "power close" signal merely powers the "power close" terminal. Durozone does sell dampers that require only one hot terminal at a time to open or close that go back to the opposite position using a spring return when power is removed...these can be used with the Slimzone as it is. The folks who sold this whole get up to me and Invensys don't seem to be aware of this three wire issue. I did not need resistors on the main panel but adding the expansion board required me to add resistors across the 24N to Y and W on the expansion panel. Works great now and I am pleased with it...would have been nice if it were simpler.

Old 12-04-08, 04:26 PM
B
Slimzone Deluxe Controller and Durozone 3 wire dampers

Well, so it was not the last post. Everything seemed to be working fine but on occasion the dampers would stick open; the panel was saying "close" but the damper would not. It turns out the relays on the panel function at 5 to 10 ms max and my added relays function at 20 ms max, so every once in a while the added relays got caught open by the PC wire, did not release, and power flowed through them to the wire that should now have gone cold. So with a fresh perspective I tried hooking the power close (PC) wire from my damper to the 24L terminal on the Slimzone controller so it will always be powered and the power open wire (PO) is the only one switched by my zone panel. It worked, it cotton pickin' worked. No added relays required and going good for a week now. Beer 4U2

Old 12-05-08, 06:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Might want to toss all that junk and try a new system I understand that Honeywell has come out with a reliable wireless control system, it utilizes the redLink wireless technology that is said to be even more reliable than hard wired systems. Check it out.

Old 01-05-09, 08:17 PM
M
A lot of what you describe has been happening with my SlimZone Classic 3 zone board (2701-001). Any chance you can PM me an e-mail so I can ask some questions?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: