reversing valve not switching

Old 01-16-08, 08:24 PM
reversing valve not switching

This is a Goodman PHJ030-1A package heat pump. First: question is will low freon stop the reversing valve from switching? (Yes or No) Second: I check the reversing valve coil and found 24 volt going to it, it had 17.6 ohms. When call for heat the coil doesn't make any noise. How can I tell that the reversing valve is bad?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-08, 09:42 PM
Wink

Turn the unit over to AC or defrost. That should make the 4 way valve work. It runs as a AC when in defrost. But you say you have 24V at the coil. You can get a new coil and try it . Most units the 4 way only work for AC. Some older units the 4way would work on heat.
That valve should work with a good charge of freon or no freon. Just what does the unit dont do??????????

Old 01-17-08, 06:25 PM
reversing valve not reversing

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
Turn the unit over to AC or defrost. That should make the 4 way valve work. It runs as a AC when in defrost. But you say you have 24V at the coil. You can get a new coil and try it . Most units the 4 way only work for AC. Some older units the 4way would work on heat.
That valve should work with a good charge of freon or no freon. Just what does the unit dont do??????????
The compressor come on, cold air come out of the vents. When you set the thermostst to heat the unit stay in cool mode. I didn't check for amps on the coil. What amps should it be pulling? I have check coil to only to be bad. Sometime coil can check O.K., but bad. How can I really tell if the coil bad.

Last edited by Jay11J; 01-26-08 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote field
Old 01-18-08, 11:55 AM
Wink

Sometime coil can check O.K., but bad. How can I really tell if the coil bad.
Can you hear it when you turn it on and off heat to cool. Do you feel the gas change in the lines when you go heat to cool?

Old 01-20-08, 12:57 PM
I don't hear the coil for the reversing valve making any sound when put in heat mode. Yes, in cool mode the coil that is mounted for the exchanger side get cold, cold air come from thvents.

Old 01-20-08, 01:20 PM
Wink

[Yes, in cool mode the coil that is mounted for the exchanger side get cold, cold air come from the vents
Then it sounds like the valve is working. Most valves today dont have to work on heat . Just when you call for cool or defrost.

Last edited by Jay11J; 01-26-08 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Fixed quote field.
Old 01-21-08, 08:33 PM
Remember this is a Goodman. Goodman default is cool. I know you know this. The coil should energize in heat mode. That why I think the coil is bad. Cause when you call for heat you don't hear any noise from the coil.

Old 01-26-08, 02:53 PM
Find a simple SAFE way to connect and disconnect the power to the coil at the out door unit.

Run the unit in which ever mode energizes the coil. With coil energized disconnect and connect power on and off. Does the valve shift?

Discharge gas is what makes the valve shift. A low charge should still allow a shift.

If you hear the coil click the valve may be stuck.

If your EPA certified you could add Supco 8 oil to the system and exersize the valve and get it working. 9 times out of 10 Supco will save you from changing the valve.

Old 01-26-08, 04:51 PM
This is the reply that I was waiting for. Thanks