2 ton Air handler / 5 Ton heat pump HELP!!

Old 01-26-08, 08:43 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 ton Air handler / 5 Ton heat pump HELP!!

I have owned a Goodman heat pump for almost 8 years now. I've been having problems about every year. I found out today after talking with Goodman (the manufacturer) and giving them my model numbers of the air handler and heat pump, that my system is an extreme mismatch. The air handler is a 2 ton unit and the heat pump is a 5 ton unit. Is there a law against this sort of mismatch? Is this heating and air conditioning man breaking any codes with such a mismatch? What should I do regarding him?? I was under the impression when I bought the system that it was to be a 4-5 ton system.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 01-27-08, 06:55 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
No law broken here. Just most low end equipment comes with a low end guy or company! You could of spent the extra money and had a higher end equipment and saved thousands by now in energy and service.

Old 01-27-08, 08:05 AM
B
hope this helps

I just bought a Goodman unit. The heat pump is 2.5 and the air handler is 3.0 to 3.5. I don't know if you broke any law? But I was informed when I bought my unit, that the air handler is suppose to be larger then the heat pump unit. Later Bobby Good luck
Originally Posted by cato47 View Post
I have owned a Goodman heat pump for almost 8 years now. I've been having problems about every year. I found out today after talking with Goodman (the manufacturer) and giving them my model numbers of the air handler and heat pump, that my system is an extreme mismatch. The air handler is a 2 ton unit and the heat pump is a 5 ton unit. Is there a law against this sort of mismatch? Is this heating and air conditioning man breaking any codes with such a mismatch? What should I do regarding him?? I was under the impression when I bought the system that it was to be a 4-5 ton system.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 01-27-08, 12:53 PM
Right on Airman!

Bobby it is acceptable to size the indoor unit 1/2 larger than the outdoor.

But not the other way around, especially by 3 tons.

Out of curiosity, what are the model numbers?

Old 01-28-08, 06:25 AM
C
2 Ton Air Handler / 5 Ton Heat Pump HELP!!

To Jarredsdad:

The Goodman system I have consists of an A24-10 air handler and a CPXE60-1 heat pump. I was under the impression I was getting a 4 ton system when I purchased this unit and it's installation. I got several bids and took the least expensive. Not knowing anything about heat pumps, I should have learned more about them before I settled on the cheaper price. Now I know why he was a thousand less than the others. I get smarter with age.

Thanks

Old 01-28-08, 02:35 PM
J
More than likely it was installed by someone who was unlicensed.

This is the reason why some people bash the Goodman name.

IMO Goodman is good equipment if installed properly. By the same token, any brand, regardless of price, will perform poorly if mismatched and not installed properly.

Like I say, worry about who is installing, rather than brand name.

Old 01-29-08, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

I got several bids and took the least expensive.
Id say that said it all .

Old 01-30-08, 04:27 PM
Agree with Ed. When you go cheap, you get cheap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: