Heat pump wont stop but no air from ducts

Old 01-30-08, 04:34 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump wont stop but no air from ducts

My Bryant heat pump won't stop running. When I turn on the thermostat, the heat pump runs but the air doesn't come out. When I turn on the emergency heat, hot air comes out then. I went out to the unit and pulled the fuse box and when it stopped running, it made this hissing sound for a couple of minutes. There is no frost on the unit. I had problems with the air handler last month. I replaced the 5 amp fuse. Turned out that there was a wire inside the heat pump that had rubbed up against the copper tubing and was shorting the system. Any suggestions on how to fix this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-30-08, 11:02 PM
Wink

Does it run when the tstat dont call for heat like you push it all the way down??? Does the blower come on when you go to fan on??? Units can hiss at you when they go off.

Old 01-31-08, 04:40 AM
T
Response

It doesn't run when the tstat doesn't call for it. The blower didn't come on when I put the fan on. When I called for the heat, the heat pump does run but no air comes out. I put it back on emergency heat, it heats the house. Something in the heat pump? Thanks again!

Old 01-31-08, 11:33 AM
Wink

The blower didn't come on when I put the fan on. When I called for the heat, the heat pump does run but no air comes out.
Check wire to fan relay--- fan relay ---or board with fan relay on it.????? Jump R to G at tstat fan should come on . If so its in the tstat if not down to the relay and wires.

Old 01-31-08, 09:11 PM
B
I had a similar problem. It turned out that the contactor in the outside unit was bad. It was staying closed, that is, the unit was being powered even when the t-stat was NOT calling for it. Hence, the outside unit stayed on all the time. I changed the contactor and my heat pump has been working fine.

The fact that you mention that the heat pump keeps running while there is no air through the vents, leads me to believe that the t-stat is calling for the whole system to stop running. The indoor unit is working correctly and hence there is no air through the vents. However, the outdoor unit is not working correctly and the contactor may be a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: