Heat pump turns off for good, and the fan keeps running

Old 02-02-08, 08:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump turns off for good, and the fan keeps running

I'm having heat pump blues.

Well, when the heat pump turns on for the first time, it works just fine. The problem is that once it gets turned off (due to the target temperature reached), then it will NEVER turn on again - meanwhile, the fan will keep turning forever (see the next paragraph). The only way to fix this is to manually switch it off & on again using the (manual analog) thermostat.

Funny thing is, this problem is intermittent but if the fan gets turned off when the heat pump turns off, then everything will be fine - eventually both the heat pump and the fan will turn on together again. It's only when the heat pump turns off and the fan stays running will the heater never turns back on again. Why wouldn't the fan turn off? Weird!

Any idea why this is happening - is this a simple matter of faulty thermostat or are we talking about $$$ repair in the heater ? The heat pump is made by ClimateMaster and is over 20 years old and also functions as an A/C, which always works fine without an exception.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

p.s. One pattern I noticed is that when I lower the thermostat temperature I have less chance of this happening, but at the cost of being less comfortable ...

-seltzer

Old 02-03-08, 10:52 AM
Wink

p.s. One pattern I noticed is that when I lower the thermostat temperature I have less chance of this happening, but at the cost of being less comfortable .
Id check the tstat out then first.

Old 02-06-08, 07:13 PM
S
Next time the fan continues to run after the target temp is met and the heat pump turns off go to the air handler and pull the green wire off of terminal G. If the fan stops replace the t-stat if it continues to run we will have to do some diagnostic work (probably need to replace the fan control board) no biggie either way post back your results man.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: