Wiring a t-stat to Goettl heat pump

Old 02-11-08, 01:55 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a t-stat to Goettl heat pump

Bought a bank repo house that has a Goettl GAHP52 heat pump. No t-stat or wiring in the house. I ran new wiring into the house and now need some help.

I am trying to wire a Honeywell RTH7400 t-stat but the wire connections on the heat pump don't quite match up to the t-stat (letter designations). I can get the a/c part to work, and if I change things, the heat to work - but not together (I hope that makes sense). I have changed the t-stat settings but no luck. Does anyone have info on this unit? I can provide more details on wire connections. I have already called the mfg. but have mnot received a call back.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-08, 02:44 PM
S
just list out the terminal letter designations on the unit terminal strip and the heat pump letters on the new t-stat. Never heard of a geotti so did a google search, but did not dig deep, probably pretty standard stuff, shoot the info back and someone here can tell you which ones to hook to what.
t-stat most likely has something like this maybe
R or Rh terminal - 24 volts typically red wire is used, jumpered to Rc in single transformer systems
Rc - 24 volts typically red wire is used, jumpered to R Rh in single transformer sytems
G - Air Handler blower fan typically a green wire
Y - 1st stage of compressor typically a yellow wire
Y2 - 2nd stage of compressor could be purple wire
O - energize reversing valve in cool mode typically a orange wire
B - energize reversing valve in heat mode typically a brown wire
aux. or W - 2nd stage heat typically a white wire
E or W2 - emergency heat relay typically a black wire
C - common side of transformer typically a blue wire
you can use any color wire that you like, it really does not matter, as long as the wires connect to the correct terminals. Some units utilize some wierd terminal designations like X and stuff so list what you have oon the unit and t-stat so we can match you up Jay is the resident expert if he cannot get you straight you are probably out of luck he will be around I am sure.

Old 02-11-08, 02:48 PM
Not sure if this diagram is the one for your unit, but if not, the site shows contact information that is sure to help.

good luck.

http://www.goettlmanufacturing.com/t...m-diagram.html

http://www.goettlmanufacturing.com/t...bulletin1.html

Old 02-11-08, 03:29 PM
S
Wow that is some good stuff pflor that schematic is way over my head. I looked at it and still cannot figure out how the reversing valve energizes in heat mode without B being hooked up??? as they said in their bulletin. Interesting I bet Jay can tell us? It looks like they simply jumpered Y to W it seems like that would pull in auxilary heat coils anytime the compressor is running cooling and heat mode both? UNLESS there is a integrated temp sensor maybe that tells the reversing valve to come in below a set oustside temp or something??? The schematic does show a sensor between the defrost board and the reversing valve??? Can you imagine trying to troubleshoot one of these puppies LOL

Old 02-11-08, 04:11 PM
Not a difficult thing to lose one's eyesight in that maze of wires... but the B is hooked up from the t-stat to a relay coil which in turn has a N.O. set of contacts that allows the reversing valve coil to be energized. I have also highlighted the wire that comes from the defrost control and will energize that same relay.

Judging from the hookup from the defrost control (which when active has the unit running in the cooling mode), the reversing valve in this circuit seems to be a "reverse on cooling". Unique to say the least, given that on a std t-stat a terminal labeled "O" should be the one used for a reverse on cooling reversing valve.

So...indeed, the reversing valve is not directly juiced up by any one of the two, but they do energize that relay, which in turn energize the reversing valve coil. One of a kind way to get the job done

Old 02-11-08, 04:37 PM
M
Guys - Thanks so much for the replies. One of the links listed by pflor is indeed for the model I have (GAHP52) The issue I have is the C (common) wire. There is no C wire on the wiring at the unit. The unit has G, W, B, Y, W2, R. The t-stat wiring letters are R (RC), O/B, Y, G, C, L, E, Aux. I think the W2 goes to Aux and the rest are easy. The question I have is where does the C go? Based on the t-stat installation book, I could connect the B to the C but then there would be nothing connected to the O/B. I'm so cornfused!

Old 02-11-08, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by MadDogSC View Post
The issue I have is the C (common) wire. There is no C wire on the wiring at the unit.
C is not needed, you'll just have to replace tha battery every fall.

I think the W2 goes to Aux and the rest are easy
Correct.

Wire the B wire from outdoor unit to O/B at the stat

Setup menu, set #170 to 7, 180 to 1, 190 to 1, and 240 to 3.

Old 02-11-08, 06:06 PM
M
Thanks Jay but I forget something. The book says connect W or W2 to the Aux......since the unit has both, which do I connect to Aux? And what do I do w/the other wire?

Not sure if this post has anything to do w/my issue.....do I have the right t-stat?

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=320633

Old 02-11-08, 06:22 PM
W is not used, W2 to Aux, and then jumper from E to AUX at stat.

Old 02-11-08, 06:27 PM
M
The house is in San Diego. So W goes to Aux and W2 goes to E, correct? Please confirm. BTW, the book says E or X or X2 goes to E on the t-stat.

Old 02-11-08, 06:29 PM
I want to add that, on the drawing that been posted on here shows W jumper over to Y at the t-stat, what happens there that stat did not know it's a heat pump, so W would powered up in heat, sending power over to Y to turn on the compressor for heat pump mode.

Old 02-11-08, 06:31 PM
M
Guess we were typing at the same time......so only 5 wires from the HP are used to go to the t-stat, correct? If my understanding is right, I'll do what you suggest and jumper the E and Aux (which the book has some info on).

Old 02-11-08, 06:31 PM
The house is in San Diego. So W goes to Aux and W2 goes to E, correct? Please confirm. BTW, the book says E or X or X2 goes to E on the t-stat.
Your system does not have 2 stage heat strips (X/X2), do that's why I said in my W2 to Aux, and jumper it to E.

Old 02-11-08, 06:41 PM
M
Let me summarize so I get it:

HP/T-Stat
R/R (jumper to RC)
B/OB
Y/Y
G/G
W/no wire
W2/Aux (jumper to E)

Do I have it?

Old 02-11-08, 06:47 PM
Let me summarize so I get it:

HP/T-Stat
R/R (jumper to RC)
B/OB
Y/Y
G/G
W/no wire
W2/Aux (jumper to E)

Do I have it?
Correct.

If you noticed the outer part of the t-stat wire hook up for O/B lines up W? that's why We have no W wire.

Old 02-11-08, 06:49 PM
M
Got it.....thanks! I won't be at the house until Wednesday.......I'll report back then.....

Old 02-11-08, 07:00 PM
Jay & MadDog:
The schematic of this unit shows terminals W and Y as jumpered and both together likely need to be connected to terminal Y on the new Honeywell t-stat (there is no W terminal on the new t-stat).

W2 indeed goes to AUX on the new t-stat

B from the unit goes to O/B on the new t-stat

R from the unit to R on the new t-stat (keep the existing t-stat jumper Rc-R in place

G goes to its counterpart G at the new t-stat

As per Honeywell schematic below:

Old 02-11-08, 07:13 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My head is hurting after reading all that but I was curious does the B get hooked up or do you leave it disconnected as the bulletin states? If you leave B disconnected how does the reversing valve function???

Site Map

Legal
Copyright Statement
Privacy Statement

Click to return to the site home page
Site Home

Goettl Service Bulletins
Topic:
Thermostat Wiring

Important service bulletin:

The traditional method of wiring Goettl’s Astro Air and E-Series Heat Pumps use the system switch's (heat-off-cool) blue wire to energize the reversing valve in the heat mode.

A change in our defrost board circuitry may cause a voltage feedback from some thermostats to occur if the traditional wiring is used. This voltage feedback may cause the Heat Pump to operate in an erratic fashion.

Wire Goettl’s Astro Air and E-Series Heat Pumps as follows to prevent unnecessary problems and erratic behavior:

* R = 24 Volt Power [Normally the red wire]
* C = Common [Normally the purple wire]
* W1 = Heat [Normally the white wire]
* Y = Cool [Normally the yellow wire]
* G = Auto/On Fan Switch [Normally the green wire]
* W2 = 2nd Stage Heat [Normally the orange wire]

Do not use the "B" terminal [Normally the blue wire].

Equip. Manuals

J1/E5 Models - HTML

J1/E5 Models - PDF

SC Models

Evap. Coolers
Helpful Info

Evap. Coolers Tips

Supported Products
Bulletins

Thermostat Wiring

Copyright 2002 - 2006 Goettl Maufacturing
1845 West 1st Street Tempe, AZ 85281 Phone: 602-470-4264 Fax: 602-470-4275
Site Problems or Suggestions: Contact: Goettl's Site Manager

Old 02-11-08, 08:21 PM
M
Not sure the bulletin you refer to is for my unit

Old 02-11-08, 08:25 PM
M
Originally Posted by pflor View Post
Jay & MadDog:
The schematic of this unit shows terminals W and Y as jumpered and both together likely need to be connected to terminal Y on the new Honeywell t-stat (there is no W terminal on the new t-stat).
pflor - The HP does have a Y connection so I was planning to conect it to the Y terminal on the t-stat. Jay explained that the W is not needed since the B from the HP connects to the O/B on the t-stat.

Old 02-11-08, 08:28 PM
M
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
Setup menu, set #170 to 7, 180 to 1, 190 to 1, and 240 to 3.
Jay - Not sure why 180 would be set to 1 and 240 set to 3. I think there is a Natural Gas line to the unit - I will confirm Wednesday.

Old 02-11-08, 08:40 PM
Jay - Not sure why 180 would be set to 1 and 240 set to 3. I think there is a Natural Gas line to the unit - I will confirm Wednesday.
From the drawing that we saw, it dose not show gas.. But do let us know if it is gas heat instead of electric.

Old 02-12-08, 03:19 AM
B must be connected, else the reversing valve will not switch positions. So, inspite of the notice from Goettl regarding the B terminal, yes, do hook it up to the O/B terminal in the new t-stat.

regarding the Y connection, the pic I posted on post #17 is taken from the installation manual for the Honeywll t-stat you are going to install, and I do not see a W terminal there. Please confirm M/N of the t-stat you'll be installing.

Would it be possible that it is your unit that has a W terminal but not the new thermostat?

Are you sure about the gas? If so, this is an add-on system and not just a heat pump. Heat pumps are all electric babies.

Old 02-12-08, 07:56 AM
Please see pic below.
This thermostat is quite versatile, but one has to be extra careful when wiring it.

It has one set of terminal designations (the inner ones) used when working with a conventional system (gas heat + compressor based cooling), and a second set of terminal designations (the outer ones) that MUST be the ones used when hooking up a heat pump.

Yes, there is a Y but only on the "conventional" set of contacts. You are NOT to pay attention to that since you don't have a "conventional" system. You'll use the outer set of terminal labels and there is "no" Y terminal there.

Hope this helps

Old 02-12-08, 12:08 PM
M
Please see pic below.
Yes, there is a Y but only on the "conventional" set of contacts. You are NOT to pay attention to that since you don't have a "conventional" system. You'll use the outer set of terminal labels and there is "no" Y terminal there.

Hope this helps
pflor - there is a Y but there isn't a W. Anyway, I came to the house today and made the wiring changes Jay suggested. I unhooked the W from the HP so only 5 wires connected from the HP to the t-stat - it works! JAY ROCKS!!! My only question is W and Y are jumpered at the HP. Not sure if I need to change anything or not.

BTW, there is not a gas line to the unit - my bad.

Old 02-12-08, 12:22 PM
As the saying goes: If ain't broke, don't fix it!

Leave the existing jumper at the heat pump (W&Y) as is. The baby's working, so don't change anything.

Indeed, there's a Y not a W (the pic I posted says it all)...got mentally tangled-up with the back 'n forth and made the typo mistake.

Old 02-12-08, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the update, and glad to hear it's running now.

Old 02-12-08, 04:34 PM
M
Indeed, there's a Y not a W (the pic I posted says it all)...got mentally tangled-up with the back 'n forth and made the typo mistake.
Just a typo for you....I was the one who was mentally tangled up......I feel rather untangled now.

Old 02-12-08, 05:44 PM
Thumbs up

Just as Jay said, I'm too quite happy to read that things worked out well for you. This is a fascinating field.