strange burning smell

Old 03-16-08, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
strange burning smell

woke up this morning with a strange smell and a couple of symptoms with my heat pump...

first off: outside temp was 45 degrees...

a very strange smell...a burning type smell but not the same that comes from dust on the heat strips on the very cold days...

digital thermostat was blank...had power because the backlight was on, but nothing else...blank screen...

the heat pump is a ruud package unit...everything is outside...the fan that you see on the top of the unit from outside was blowing...however, no air was blowing into the ducts and into the house...i thought that was strange...

the smell is very strong in the air return when i remove the filter...

any ideas???

we did have some strong thunderstorms yesterday during the day...

Old 03-16-08, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 51 Posts
It is most likely the fan motor.

If you turn the power off to the furnace and CAREFULLY check with your nose around the motor you may find the problem.
The motor could be burning out but still work which would spread the odor through the ducts.

Old 03-21-08, 09:08 AM
update

we had someone look at it...

diagnosis...rain water was running under the return duct next to the unit outside...causing the duct to get wet...

however, this smell doesn't stay around...if the duct was wet, i would assume the smell would stick around all the time...

this is what we have noticed since this began...

the smell is not a burning smell, it is more a musty dirty sock smell...

it comes as quick as it disappears...we have noticed when we switch to AC, the smell comes...as it cools the house, the smell disappears with the first several minutes...when we change it back to heat, the smell comes back...

does this sound like dirty sock syndrome...

what are our options now...

Old 03-21-08, 10:46 AM
Wink

does this sound like dirty sock syndrome...
Id sure say yes. Have you tried a 50/50 water clorox mix and spray it around by the AC coil and the duct work you say got wet???? Check and see that the duct is sealed tight and no leaks to the out side there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: