Heat Pump Code Requirement

Old 03-31-08, 08:09 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump Code Requirement

Can anyone tell me the code requirement for distance in placing the Pad and Heat Pump next to the house.

Thank you.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-08, 09:23 PM
May want to check your local building inspector on that one since it may vary by area.

But the main thing is the space between the home and coil is stated in the install manual of the equipment.

Old 03-31-08, 10:18 PM
Wink

Like said it pays to check code first. But most units call for 18" out from any wall and 36" open at the front or service side. Dont know where you are . But you do want it up high. So its out of any snow and the water can run away when its on defrost.Not build up around the bottom coils

Old 03-31-08, 11:19 PM
D
Heat Pump

Hi Jay11J,

Thank you for your reply. The manual for the Heat Pump calls for a minimum clearance of 10 inches from side structure and 60 inches for top clearance. I placed a call to the building department and am waiting for them to return my call. I'm currently building my own house and installing the Heat Pump myself. The final hookup will be done by a Heating repair company. One of my main concerns is the location as to where the Heat Pump in going. This year we had 4 feet of snow. Not being real famaliar with Heat Pumps, will it put off enough heat to keep the snow off of it or do I need to build a structure around it to help keep snow from burying it? Any input would be helpful.

Thank you.

Dan

Old 04-01-08, 04:43 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In heat mode it actually makes cold, with the exception of defrost mode. Another thing to consider is the roof overhang, the knuckleheads who installed mine put it right under the eaves and right on the ground but on a couple patio blocks. If you are in the North with lots of snow put it up about a foot or more from the ground and out from under the eaves.

Old 04-01-08, 06:28 AM
For northern states, the heat pump needs to be up on legs about a foot or so to let the water drain away from the unit.

Also FYI, the unit you are putting in yourself, a very good chance are you may not getting any type of warranty support on equipment that is not is not installed by a dealer.

Old 04-01-08, 10:09 PM
D
Follow-up

Follow-up: Talked to the building department this morning on placement of Heat Pump next to house. The inspector said to go with the manufacture requirements. So, I will place it about 18 as stated by Ed Imeduc. Also, I plan on placing the pad up on blocks to get it up off the ground. I guess I will also invest in a good snow shovel. With regards to warranty, the supplier will honor manufactures warranty on all parts even though Im installing it myself. They do recommend that the complete system be inspected by a certified technician, which I had planned on doing anyway. Once again, thank you all for your help.

Dan

Old 04-02-08, 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by DTech1013 View Post
F I plan on placing the pad up on blocks to get it up off the ground.
The pad stays down, so the whole bottom of the unit is open. The dealer should have heat pump legs... Some go by "Pump Ups" that where the water drain away from the bottom of the unit when it goes into defrost.