Electric Radiant Floor Heat..Not Working!!

Old 04-15-08, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric Radiant Floor Heat..Not Working!!

I have had an electric radiant floor heating system installed in my bathroom. It was tested before the tile was put down. After tile installation it no longer works. Is there anyway I can find the break in the system?

Thanks,
Chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-08, 10:53 AM
Chuck,

The first step would be to verify that it is indeed the heating elements that are no longer working. Just perform the same test that you did before the tile was put down. That will tell you if there is a short in the heating elements.
If they do turn out to be damaged, there would be a couple tools you could use that would help find exactly where the break is, and more than likely the company who you bought the heating elements from would be able to get you a repair kit as well.
It's certainly not the end of the world, and it can be fixed.

Old 08-14-08, 09:39 AM
Like the other poster said, be sure it's an open circuit in the heating element and not a control problem. You may want to disconnect (isolate) all the wires going to the heat strip and ohm it out. If in fact is is broken, it could be broken in several places which makes it more confusing.
Back in the 70's when everyone had electric ceiling heat, we could sometimes find the open circuit by running a small portable AM radio tuned off frequency across the sheet rock and when you get to the open spot, it would buzz a little. Don't know if that will work through tile, but it wouldn't hurt to try.