Heat Pump: replace compressor or get new complete system?

Old 05-12-08, 06:37 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump: replace compressor or get new complete system?

On my 10 year old Carrier heat pump, the outside unit is rattling. First tech said it was the fan motor ($700 parts and labor). Second tech brought the fan out but the rattle remained. Put old fan back and said it was actually the compressor ($2200 parts and labor).

First question: If I replace the compressor, can I get 5 more years out of the system? Never had any problems with the rest of the system (indoor or outdoor).

Second question: For a complete new system (seems to be $5000-$6000) is it worth paying $500 more for an R-410 based system over an R-22 system?

Third question: Does Kenmore make a quality heat pump? Sears rep said it uses same main components as Carrier? Or should I stick with Carrier/Trane?

Thanks everyone!
-Tony

Old 05-28-08, 03:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyXL
On my 10 year old Carrier heat pump, the outside unit is rattling. First tech said it was the fan motor ($700 parts and labor). Second tech brought the fan out but the rattle remained. Put old fan back and said it was actually the compressor ($2200 parts and labor).

First question: If I replace the compressor, can I get 5 more years out of the system? Never had any problems with the rest of the system (indoor or outdoor).

Second question: For a complete new system (seems to be $5000-$6000) is it worth paying $500 more for an R-410 based system over an R-22 system?

Third question: Does Kenmore make a quality heat pump? Sears rep said it uses same main components as Carrier? Or should I stick with Carrier/Trane?

Thanks everyone!
-Tony
If it is rattling and still working is it that much of a nuisance to pay that much money to have it fixed or replaced? Just my thoughts hehe, and how confident are you that your tech is correct that it is the compressor? I mean most compressors I diagnose that are noisy have internal damage and make a knocking noise rather than a rattling noise. Some units get loose screws over time and the vibration from the compressor running may cause the unit to shake and rattle a little. You might want a second opinion and most companies will give you a free estimate on replacing the unit. When you get another tech out there for the free estimate just tell him why you are replacing it and he will probably tell you if the other tech is right or wrong for free. But anyways here is your answers....

1st Answer: The compressor is the heart and soul of the system and replacing it *should* extend the life for another 5 years or longer. I have replaced compressors that have died less than a year after installation date but new compressors should come with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty (this does not cover the labor of installation). Also there are a lot of other things that can go wrong and determine your unit needs to be replaced. Pin holes in the evaporator coil, your evaporator rusts out and water seeps into your overflow or worse on your ceiling, bad motors, etc... In my opinion on a unit that is that old I would replace the whole unit because otherwise you are risking throwing your money away.

2nd Answer: Yes. R-22 is being phased out and becoming more expensive every day it seems. They are making a direct drop-in replacement for it but as manufacturers stop producing the refrigerant and draw back on the amount of equipment they make supporting R-22 systems it will be a lot more expensive to make repairs. R-410A is the replacement unit that is being pushed right now and it makes it the more economical, and logical thing to go with. It would be kind of like buying a old stye analog TV for $50 cheaper than a digital LCD knowing that analog was being done away with, not the best move.

3rd Answer: I would stay way from Kenmore and "lower" line equipment if I were you. In my experience they fall apart quicker than the better made units. On the other hand the compressor used in the Kenmore is most likely the same as in a Carrier or maybe a Trane (Copeland, Tecumseh). Trane is going to cost you an arm and a leg for the name but in my opinion they are the best made unit. Personally I don't care for Carrier and think they have gone down hill over the past ten years. You may want to look into a Rheem or a Ruud unit as well, and I'd stay away from Goodman too. A few really important things I would look for in purchasing a new unit would be...

1. What is the warranty on the unit and the compressor (they will be different usually)

2. Make sure you get a scroll compressor, they tend to last a lot longer in my experience.

3. Don't get swept away in buying a super high SEER unit, for the money I'd stay around 14-16. You go any higher than that and you'll never recoup the additional costs in you energy savings.

4. Get a really reputable company to install it. I can install the cheapest unit and make it last longer than someone who installs the best unit and takes short cuts. All new systems must have a filter drier installed (most new condensers come with one pre-installed from the factory) and you must make sure that the tech pulls a proper vacuum on the system.

The above statements are my opinions and may or may not be the opinions shared on this forum

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: