Electric Furnace won't shut off

Old 06-07-08, 09:01 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric Furnace won't shut off

Hello. I am new to the site and have a problem I am hoping to get some help with. I have an older electric furnace (mid-1970's, forced air) that is giving me some problems. Last week, the heating elements turned on out of the blue, even though the heat was turned off at the thermostat. The thermostat controls both the electric furnace and central air, and both run off the same blower. This first time, both the heat and the AC were turned off at the thermostat. The blower was not running when the heating elements kicked on. I could not figure out any way to turn the heating elements off besides to turn off the furnace at the breaker box. I had the HVAC guy come by and look at the furnace, and he said that everything checked out ok and that sometimes this happens and you simply need to trip the fuse at the breaker box to reset the furnace. So two days later, after the $95 service fee in which I was told everything was fine, the heater elements came on again. This second time the thermostat was set to air conditioning. The blower again was not running, and neither was the air conditioning at the time. The air had been running fine all day, but was not running when I noticed that the heating elements were stuck on again. It is about 90 degrees outside in the afternoon at my house and the last thing I need is for the heating elements of my furnace to trip on every couple of days. Can anyone give me any idea as to what is wrong. I don't think the repair man was very helpful. He did mention that some of the wiring looked like it was starting to go bad and that we would likely need a new furnace in the next year or two. But again, he said everything checked out ok on the furnace right now- just expect problems in the next few years. Any help or advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get the problem solved quickly, as I don't need my AC fighting both 90 degree outside temps and a electric furnace that kicks on whenever it wants.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-08, 09:16 PM
M
I just checked the furnace and it appears the heating elements are still on. The air conditioning is running, but when it shuts off temporarily the furnace warms to the touch until the air kicks back on. So it appears my air conditioning is fighting the heating elements that are stuck on, despite "resetting" the furnace by turning the fuse on and off as the repair man said. The model of the electric furnace is Raywall, if that means anything to anyone. Does anyone know how I can at least shut the furnace off so that I can continue to run my AC until I can get the problem fixed. Turning the furnace off at the breaker box turns off my AC as well, but it appears that is my only solution at the moment.

Old 07-16-08, 08:53 PM
G
I am new to this and I am not good with internet as well but I want to ask you do you still have a problem with the furnes.?