Carrier vs goodman vs amana

Old 07-22-08, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier vs goodman vs amana

Hello --

I am looking at replacing my a/c unit with a heatpump. I have gotten bids from Trane (real expensive $5500), Carrier and Goodman.

The carrier is a 14seer 25HCA536 and would be $3760 installed and the Amana is ASZ14 (14seer) would be $4200.

I have a family member that can install Goodman which is the same as Amana and I assume it would be cheaper around $3000.

We live in MN and we have an older 80% single stage furnace (8 years), so we cannot take advantage of the 2 stage heatpumps. If we would get the 2 stage heatpump, we would not be getting the money out of it, until the furnace would be updated.

I do no think it makes sense to upgrade the furnace for the variable fan speeds. Carrier said I would get more effecient, but at a cost of $3500.

Between Carrier/Amana/Goodman, which one has a better reputation and should I go with? Do you upgrade the furnace?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-08, 01:09 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
At 8 years old id replace the furnace. and go with at least a 15 seer. Id go with carrier or trane. and stay away from the builder grade goodman and alike.

Old 07-22-08, 09:35 PM
The Warranty

Is more important than anything that has been said - Time (Years), Parts and labor!

*All else is just a name until you get to high seer 16 and up with different technologies between the 3. Reliability is important, but not as important as the warranty!

Old 07-26-08, 09:46 AM
I've also heard many a times people mention that installation can also be more important than the mfr. That is, heat loss/load, ductwork calculations, and overall workmanship.

Old 07-28-08, 06:41 AM
Things to consider:

1) The installation will make or brake the new system, not the brand you choose. Choose the best installer! The installer should provide you a Manual J load calc to justify the size of whatever unit they install. If they are upsizing your system at all, it is a must. Duct sizing verification and calculations would also normally be done.

2) Goodman isn't quite the same as the Amana. Yes, Goodman bought Amana but Amana didn't start rebadging goodman units. Amana units are top notch and Goodman is pretty decent anymore, too. Goodman and Amana lifetime compressor and heat exchanger warranties are something to consider.

3) My parents have a basic 14seer Carrier. They have had no problems in 3 years with it. IMO, it was oversized a bit and doesn't run long enough but that is no knock on the product. I just installed a 16 SEER Amana ASZ16 3 ton (2-stage) with the AMV8 variable speed furnace a few weeks back. I'd recommend the Amana setup to anyone. Very quiet and with the 2-stage system and a Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ, the inside humidity is 37% where as it was 50-55% with my older system.