Bryant loud compressor noise

Old 08-04-08, 12:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bryant loud compressor noise

I had a Bryant Quiet Whisper System installed 10 years ago. I hated it the second I walked into my house. The fan was loud enough to drown out my TV enjoyment, and the compressor moaned so loud that it reverberated throughout my whole house. That was ten years ago. After many, many hours of trying to fix the unit with dampening material, I have yet to ever fix the loud, vibrating compressor noise. I bought a stethoscope off of Ebay. If you hold it against the incoming copper tubing, it almost rips your eardrum off.

My question is...can I replace the compressor myself? Or would it be better to replace the outside unit? Can I put a Lennox outside unit on a Bryant inside furnace unit? I am done with Bryant. I have threatened to sue the crappy company over such a poor product. They told me to bring it on. Again this unit has kept me awake for over 10 years. I have 2 fans in my bedroom to drown out the moaning of the hunk of junk.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-08, 06:19 PM
A compressor change out is not a DIY project. An avg. home owner are not going to have the tools for the job, and also EPA frowns on it big time.

be best to look into a new unit, and look into a variable speed air handler/furnace.

Old 08-05-08, 09:28 PM
I'd agree, start getting bids on a new unit. Get 3 bids for the job from competent contractors. Look for a guy who will do the proper Manual J heat loss/load calculation. Remember that installation can be more important than the brand of unit itself. You could chose a different brand and get the condensor and evaporator, leaving your existing furnace if it is still good.

Regarding a compressor change, as mentioned, the EPA frowns on it. Most jurisdications have refrigerant regulations, as per the EPA, you need certification to do the work and tools far to expensive to justify purchasing for one use.

Good luck.

Old 08-06-08, 07:05 AM
After 10 years, You would get no sympathy from the law.
You should have called the Bryant company service manager for your area much sooner if the dealer could not make it right. Then if he and the installing dealer still could not resolve the problem, you would have grounds to sue if they refuse to refund the cost of materials and labor.

When equipment is malfunctioning for 10 years, I think your fortunate that it still runs.
You will need a certified dealer to check out whether your present system is sized right and if your ductwork is sufficient. Then discuss either getting it repaired vs replacing the some of the equipment or getting a whole new system.
The systems available today are high tech and are designed to work well if all components are matched up.

Go to the manufacturer's website to get certified dealers in your area. From what you told us, I would have to guess that the installer was not properly qualified to install heating and airconditioning equipment.