Changing Heat pump condenser unit

Old 08-13-08, 09:23 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing Heat pump condenser unit

I need to replace the condenser unit on my BARD heat pump split system. Can I replace with any other brand ? I have found some different brands on the internet for sale, But none are BARD. There are only 3 small wires that come from the inside unit. I realize that I will have to have a licensed person come and charge the unit, but I think I will save quite a bit purchasing the unit this way.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-08, 03:30 PM
Certified person to change unit Yes.

Buy off the internet, No.

Like a used car, you are probably buying someone elses problem.

Why not fix what you have?

Old 08-14-08, 04:39 PM
Are you talking about replacing the entire outside unit ( in which case your new 13 SEER unit would NOT work with your existing 10 SEER or less, indoor unit. You will need to replace the indoor air handler) or do you mean just replace the COMPRESSOR on your heat pump unit?

The brand will not matter. Finding an installer who is willing to put in a unit you buy off the internet...that might be tough. Certainly he cannot give you any warranty coverage.

Old 08-15-08, 02:51 PM
F
buying new

[QUOTE=Jarredsdad;1413572]Certified person to change unit Yes.

Buy off the internet, No.

Like a used car, you are probably buying someone elses problem.

Why not fix what you have?

The plan is to buy a new unit, not used, My existing unit is over 20 years old, so I thought it would be better to replace the whole thing.

Old 08-15-08, 02:58 PM
F
the whole thing

Originally Posted by 594tough View Post
Are you talking about replacing the entire outside unit ( in which case your new 13 SEER unit would NOT work with your existing 10 SEER or less, indoor unit. You will need to replace the indoor air handler) or do you mean just replace the COMPRESSOR on your heat pump unit?

The brand will not matter. Finding an installer who is willing to put in a unit you buy off the internet...that might be tough. Certainly he cannot give you any warranty coverage.
I had planned on a whole outside unit. A local repair company quoted 1,200 to replace just the compressor. And 2,300 to replace the whole thing (outside unit). I have found plenty of suppliers on-line for new condensers For 1,000 - 1,300.
Is mine a 10SEER because of the 3 wires? I am not sure of the size of the inside unit.

Old 08-15-08, 03:10 PM
The three wire thing sounds strange for a heat pump.

What is the model number?