Air Handler, and adding heat strip

Old 10-03-08, 07:12 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Handler, and adding heat strip

Hi
I had already posted a question in this forum before, but now i have more information and questions.
I checked my Air Handler it has a 5 KW heat strip already installed in it, but not sure if it is working.
1, How do i test if this 5KW strip is working, when i put the thermostat to emergency heat i get cold air.
When i try to heat the house, i get heat when outside temperature is above 40, below 40 it takes a lot of time to heat the house. Is this 5 KW for defrosting the heat pump
2, Is 10 KW enough for 1100 Sq Ft house,
3, There is 30 AMP breaker and 10 CU cable( don't know what that is, it is orange cable) do i need to change this to handle 10 KW heat, what is the maximum KW i can go without having to change it.
4, How does this backup heat suppose to work, will it shut down the heat pump when this backup heat kicks in, or will the heat pump work along this backup heat
5, Currently in morning some times the heat pump does not start when i increase the temperature in thermostat, only Air handler starts, why does this happen.
6, What information should i get from the contractor before letting him do any changes, like insurance of license etc.

I would really appreciate if i can get answers for the above questions

Old 10-03-08, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by kulkarni_ash View Post
I checked my Air Handler it has a 5 KW heat strip already installed in it, but not sure if it is working.
Was this just added? (If I recall you said it didn't have one, and wanted to add one)

1, How do i test if this 5KW strip is working, when i put the thermostat to emergency heat i get cold air.
Do you have a meter to check power?

4, How does this backup heat suppose to work, will it shut down the heat pump when this backup heat kicks in, or will the heat pump work along this backup heat
Depends on how it been wired up.

Most of the time, it wired to work by itself, or along with the heat pump to help keep up.

5, Currently in morning some times the heat pump does not start when i increase the temperature in thermostat, only Air handler starts, why does this happen.
Depends on the model of T-stat, some will shut down the heat pump, and only use back up electric strip to recover.

Old 10-03-08, 07:56 PM
K
Hi
I have multimeter, what do i check, and how
What does AUX heat means in the thermostat.
how do i know if the AUX heat is working or not

Old 10-03-08, 09:23 PM
K
Hi
I did not know there was one, i opened the side panel of air handler to see what was inside and saw there was one 5 KW heat strip in it, may be it is used to defrost the heat pump when it gets cold outside,

I have multimeter, what do i check, and how
What does AUX heat means in the thermostat.
how do i know if the AUX heat is working or not
should i add 10 KW or keep this one and add other, how does it work, what is the best way to approach this issue,

Old 10-04-08, 04:45 AM
T
kulkarni

what area of country do you live?

do you have AC or HP system?

what size?

to answer your questions...

1.take a look at outside electric meter. then switch on emergency heat at thermostat. if you don't see a noticeable difference in the rotation of meter, then heat strip is not operating.

2.a 5 KW heat strip if operating correctly produces about 17 KBTUs of heat.

just offhand without knowing more details, I would say a 10 KW heat strip is too large but of course that depends on insulation qualities of your home and heat loss calculation. keep in mind you can't just go up in size without verifying the circuit can handle the larger size.

3.what size circuit is your 5 KW heat strip on?

here is the calculation of watts to amps..

Converting Watts to Amps

The conversion of Watts to Amps is governed by the equation Amps = Watts/Volts

4.emergency heat is strictly your backup heat strips without the outside HP condenser operating

supplemental/auxilliary heat is outside HP operating in conjuction with heat strips which should light up on your thermostat.

5.difficult to say. obviously a faulty thermostat should be ruled out especially when you indicate it works sometimes.

6.I would start with a qualified HVAC dealer doing business in your area.

if you are not familiar with basic electrical, then stay away from it.

IMO

Old 10-04-08, 08:46 AM
K
Hi
I live in PA, near NJ border
I have Heating Pump outside which is ducane and air handler inside which is by ADP.
it is 2.5 tons capacity,
I did try to put the thermostat on emergency and see the meter, it does seem to be a bit fast, but not sure how fast it should go
But in the house all i get is cold air, no hot air at all.
Also in the box in garage i don't see an marking for air compressor but nothing for heat pump or air handler, don't know which circuit breaker is for this system.
So is 5 KW enough for my house, the insulation is pretty OK, i did all the chalking and also put extra plastic sheets from inside all the windows as storm windows,

I also noticed when the house temp is 66 and i take the thermostat to 70 AUX heat comes on, but when i set to 68 or 69 AUX heat does not come on

Hardest thing is to find right contractor or person to check these things out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: