Trane Heat Pump Tripping Supply Breaker

Old 11-03-08, 12:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane Heat Pump Tripping Supply Breaker

I have a Trane XE1000 residential heat pump model TWR042C100B0 that is almost 14 years old. About a year ago in the fall 2007 it began tripping the supply breaker. It would operate normally through several off/on cycles for several hours but would eventually trip the breaker.

The service/installing company technicians replaced 1) motor contactor; 2) crankcase heater; and 3) outdoor thermostat, but the problem continued. I have replaced the 40 Amp supply breaker twice.

The unit operated all summer long in the cooling mode without tripping the breaker a single time. But now that it is heating season again the trouble has come back.

I have connected recording ammeter and voltmeter. From these I have determined that it always trips when starting or trying to start. It never trips while running.

Can anybody help me??

Old 11-03-08, 02:04 PM
Lets do a few basic checks.

First thing is to check to be sure that your system is using a delay so that the compressor is not trying to start against high head pressure the internal refrigerant pressures have to equalize properly and that takes a few minutes before it trys to restart.

Next check the incoming voltage at the disconnect and also at the contactor check all connections to be sure that they are tight.

Next if the voltage is within range for your unit lets check the ohm readings on the compressor itself.
Shut off power and lock out and then pull the compressor leads.
Check between each of the 3 compressor lugs and record the readings.
It should be around 1 to 5 between any two and the two lower readings should equal the higher one if the compressor is good.
If the compressor checks good then you should check (or simply replace the capacitor) if the capacitor is checked good (or replaced) and you still have the problem then a hard start kit will most likely get you a few years more service from the compressor.

Now the key is that if you check all above items and they are good and add a hard start kit and you still have the breaker pop you may have a internal system problem where the refrigerant pressures are not equalizing I have seen this but it is a rare occurence and the last time it was a TXV problem where the WRONG TXV (non internal check valve unit)had been added into a Lennox unit that utilized a TXV with a internal check valve.

So you might want to review your repair history to see if some repair might have been done around the time that this current problem started.

You will of course need a certified tech for any internal system repairs. Good Luck

Last edited by Jarredsdad; 11-03-08 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 04:39 PM
J
Thanks

Thanks. How can I tell if my unit has a "delay?' What should I look for and where will it be?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: