elec base board heat question

Old 11-06-08, 07:56 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
elec base board heat question

I think you might be able to help me. I am not sure how or if i am posting the right way. Any way i have a electric base board heater in my home and i would like to mount a T-Stat on the wall above instead of having to reach around the couch and turn up the dial on the base board unit. This units thermostat also operates a heater across the room. I have pulled the cover off the one with the T- Stat knob on it and have found two reds and to blacks. Now i have bought a t-stat from electric supply company that has two red and and two blacks of the same size coming out of it. My question is can i 1 Bypass the baseboard heater on board t -stat and just wire my wall mount to it. and have the walkl mount perform as the unit mounted on e did. Thanx for any help. Thou shalt P.S the unit is a 1250 watt Markel production base board heater

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-08, 08:50 PM
D
>>My question is can i 1 Bypass the baseboard heater on board t -stat and just wire my wall mount to it.

Tough call without seeing the heaters. It will work if you bypass it, however the NEC forbids electrical modification of appliances. If you can bypass the built in Tstat without cutting any wires I'd go ahead and bypass it, otherwise I'd wire it in before the existing tstat and just turn the existing tstat to its highest setting.

Make sure the wattage of the tstat you bought exceeds that of the heaters it controls. Make sure the you use the correct gauge wire. Make sure all your connections are tight.

Old 11-07-08, 07:12 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
On baseboards I have worked with, you have to modify, according instructions on baseboard heater, sometimes, in order to switch around where the stat is to be placed. If the 12/2 w/gnd wire is coming up in the wall on the left, and the old baseboard heater was set up with the wire tied into the on-board stat there...........but then you install a replacement baseboard heater, and the wires are solid on the left, and the stat is set up on the right........you HAVE to make that switch.

Rather than call up say your local jurisdiction to get into code issues, and them wanting to know who you are and if you plan to do this yourself or not, you maybe could call up your local supply house and find out what they say about all this.

I just called up my local big box home center for you, and the person said they now sell their electric baseboard heaters without the thermostat at all! You have to buy it separate -either wall mount or on-board. And the person agreed that if you can attach the one of your choice, they can't see why then you can't remove the type stat you have now, to change it to the other type if you want. That only makes sense. At least to me.

As far as this particular baseboard heater (that big box store person said they sell) being set up somehow differently for this purpose of doing it either way? *I* have actually installed these dual-application units, and they are no different than the old on-board ones. They still have the stat "sensor" built into all of these units. All they sell you differently, if you want, is the on-board 1 or 2 pole switch, in a separate package. I have bought them/installed them.

Old 11-30-08, 12:42 PM
C
I have a question. I have electric baseboard heat in my home. I hate it but I'm stuck with it. I've been in the house for a year but I think there may be a problem with some of the registers. How can I tell if they are working properly? I've replaced all of the thermostats but today I heard a loud pop from one register and another seems to always be giving off a lot of heat even with it set low and it's always making a lot of clicking and crackling. Forgive my ignorance but who repairs this stuff, electricians or heating and plumbing guys. Any help would be great.

Old 12-01-08, 08:07 AM
D
Originally Posted by chrissilini View Post
I have a question. I have electric baseboard heat in my home. I hate it but I'm stuck with it. I've been in the house for a year but I think there may be a problem with some of the registers. How can I tell if they are working properly? I've replaced all of the thermostats but today I heard a loud pop from one register and another seems to always be giving off a lot of heat even with it set low and it's always making a lot of clicking and crackling. Forgive my ignorance but who repairs this stuff, electricians or heating and plumbing guys. Any help would be great.
They are pretty simple beasts. If you crank up the tstat and don't get any heat then something is not right. You may hear a click in the tstat that indicates the heater is energized. You should then feel some heat.

Too much heat may mean a bad tstat. With noises verify something hasn't fallen into the heater, or have a pro verify the element and unit are properly secured from any heat expansion. Excessive movement can eventually pull a wire loose.

Call an electrician if you need a pro.