Heat pump - Unitary/York E1RA030S06D, does not run but fan runs

Old 11-16-08, 01:43 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump - Unitary/York E1RA030S06D, does not run but fan runs

I have Unitary/York E1RA030S06D heat pump unit. I also has inside auxiliary/emergency heat.
When inside thermostat (riteTemp) triggers the heat, my heat pump doesn't run but fan runs and it blows air (mostly cool air). My thermostat is intelligent enough and starts auxiliary heat after 2 F temp difference, when it senses heat pump is not functioning. It is costly.
I called riteTemp customer support and they confirmed that I have correct thermostat wiring. They asked me to reset my heat pump from outside.
I looked at the heat pump/air conditioning unit and didn't find any switch that I can use to reset the heat pump.
I am really not a handy person and have little or no knowledge about these appliances or electric system. I even couldn't find out how to power it off from the outside.
Though, I did switched off my circuit breaker switch for the outside heat pump system.

Can any one please help me in layman terms.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-08, 08:43 PM
P
Originally Posted by penns View Post
I have Unitary/York E1RA030S06D heat pump unit. I also has inside auxiliary/emergency heat.
When inside thermostat (riteTemp) triggers the heat, my heat pump doesn't run but fan runs and it blows air (mostly cool air). My thermostat is intelligent enough and starts auxiliary heat after 2 F temp difference, when it senses heat pump is not functioning. It is costly.
I called riteTemp customer support and they confirmed that I have correct thermostat wiring. They asked me to reset my heat pump from outside.
I looked at the heat pump/air conditioning unit and didn't find any switch that I can use to reset the heat pump.
I am really not a handy person and have little or no knowledge about these appliances or electric system. I even couldn't find out how to power it off from the outside.
Though, I did switched off my circuit breaker switch for the outside heat pump system.

Can any one please help me in layman terms.
Is this a split system. The outdoor unit is outside the house and the indoor unit is up in the attis or garage. If it is, there is a circuit breaker located at your power panel. One of them feeds your outdoor unit. Ensure that the breaker is not trip. Also. if you can open up the outdoor unit electrical cover, observe the contactor if it pulls in, hopefully you have a multimeter and check for voltage going to your compressor. This type of troubleshooting is for an experience technician. If in doubt of your capabilities to follow instruction I would highly suggest calling someone who knows or just call a HVAC tech.

Old 11-16-08, 09:28 PM
P
Originally Posted by pbservano View Post
Is this a split system. The outdoor unit is outside the house and the indoor unit is up in the attis or garage. If it is, there is a circuit breaker located at your power panel. One of them feeds your outdoor unit. Ensure that the breaker is not trip. Also. if you can open up the outdoor unit electrical cover, observe the contactor if it pulls in, hopefully you have a multimeter and check for voltage going to your compressor. This type of troubleshooting is for an experience technician. If in doubt of your capabilities to follow instruction I would highly suggest calling someone who knows or just call a HVAC tech.
Outside I have a heat pump. Inside, in the basement, I have a York furnace. I think that is for auxiliary/emergency heat. When my fan runs, I hear sound from this inside unit.
But I do not hear any sound from the outside unit.
I checked the circuit breaker on the main power panel. There is one for Air conditionining and onefor heat. By the way, I have electric forced air heating/cooling system from york. All circuit breakers are on.
For testing purposes, I also switched it off for an hour and then switched it on to see the difference but nothing changed.
Today, I als opened the outdoor unit (heat pump - E1RA030S06D) cover and looked at the circuit. it is clean and circuit board is made by Texas instrument.
Is there anything on this board that I can use to reset my heat pump?
Also, I see a "open jumper" that says "test". But I didn't dare to touch anything. I just made sure things are tighlty connected.
I have a multimeter but I do not know where to connect to check the voltage.
Please advice.